I'm A Daddy

May 21, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
I'm A Daddy (added Pics)

I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 chichlids and a pleco. I used to browse the forums alot and have learned everything I know from here, its been almost 2 years since I last browsed through here. Alot has changed, lol.

Anyways, I normally do water changes every 2 weeks. The last 3 months I have been slipping. Doing them once a month now. Today I decided to clean my tank. I took out all the decorations and changed my filters. After that I normally let the tank settle for an hour (let all poop sink in rocks, lol).

My 6 year old daughter told me I had some babies in the tank. I know fish only breed in optimal situations. I told her it was prolly just poop floating around. But she insisted. Sure enough, I have 10 little chichlids swimming around in my tank.

Now, my interest in my aquarium has peeked again. I have alot of cover in the tank. Will these little guys be ok? It seems even as little fish, each one has his own little hole to hide in. They dont stay together much. Can I lets these guys grow normally? Or do i need to set up a quarintine? Like I said, they all stay very hidden. Thank You!!

Last edited:

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Well considering by your signature that the only fish in there are the parents and a pleco, I would think they would be fine. Thats one thing cichlids are known for , their parenting. With the exception of the angel fish. Are your particular fish mouthbroaders? Congrats on being a fish poppa

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
cichlids aren't like other community fish :) Most times if cichlid babies are eaten its because of other fish in the tank. Have fun watching the babies grow up!

Mouthbrooders are fish that keep their babies in their mouth...let them out as they grow up. Never had one, but trust me you'd have noticed by now if they were. It looks like they're eating the babies...and then they'll let them all back out haha

Saw you post yesterday...blast from the past! Welcome back :)

May 21, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Here are some pictures of the parents and and one of the little guys. I think this can help the experts properly identify them and help me with my problem. I bought the parents when they were very small (0.5 in) and were blue with black stripes. I was told they were Zebra Cichlids. For some reason one of them turned orange (beautiful) and became dominate.

None of the pics came out too well. My fish are very camera shy.

Thank You!

http://portfolio.iu.edu/jlklinge/P6160001.JPG
http://portfolio.iu.edu/jlklinge/P6160002.JPG
http://portfolio.iu.edu/jlklinge/P6160004.JPG

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Awwww the little guys are SO CUTE! I honestly am not a cichlid expert...I know a bit about the ones I have...but thats about the extent of it. Cman or Orion or someone else might pipe up with some more specifics on your particular fish...Or did you see our new profile section?? Oops...just looked and I dont see a Zebra Cichlid profile...hmm HEY CMAN WHEREZ THE ZEBRA profile? lol ;)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yes...a mouthbrooder hatches eggs in their mouth. I've heard that there are some who take the back in their mouth after they've been released, maybe thats just rumor. (every time I think of this I think of that scene in finding nemo where the mom brings her kids to school in her mouth...that made me crack up) I'm pretty sure its because the eggs are different than other species that lay eggs...if they're not constantly being rolled around and having fresh water flow past them then they have a tendency to rot. Most people who breed a mouthbrooding species knows exactly when they spawned and strip the female of the eggs/fry after a specific number of days. When I said "grow up" I meant hatch and become free swimming little fish. Sorry I should have been more clear on that.