I'm a newbie and need info

Dec 22, 2006
I want an aquarium cuz I love the water and fishl I've NEVER done this before so where do I start? Please advise. thx for any help!!

Dec 22, 2006
why yes, I did place a posting on Craigslist. I'm a bit impatient and since I didn't get a quick response, I went elsewhere! Thanks for ur suggestions. I'm going to my local petsmart/pectco and ask lots of questions before I buy. I don't trust the people there cuz I figure their there to sell and not really advise. I want to look and ask the right questions.
Thanks much and happy holidays

Dec 22, 2006
convict? is that a fish or a slang? thx for ur help. I saw a starter kit in Walmart for $30.00 and a few aquariums. That is what hooked me....the beautiful site of the aquariums. So tranquil and relaxing to look at. Well, I want that in my home....
thx again...

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
You'll need a tank - lights - lid - heater and filter. Buying all those bits sepaerately can get expensive, so look at the kits that have everything included - it'll save you a lot of money.

I'd agree a 20 would be better than a 10 as it gives you a lot more options and will be healthier for the fish too.

Next up - please understand it is a really bad move to come home from the shop with the tank in one hand - and a bag of fish in the other. It takes time to set up a tank ready to take fish - so concentrate on the kit first - the fish come later.

Then read everything you can find about about "cycling a fish tank" until you have a basic understanding of what that means.

After that - ask lots of questions - and keep researching for yourself too (Google). There's a lot you need to know.

Welcome to the the tank .........

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Even better, do your research now, just as you're doing. Get a general idea of what you want to keep fish-wise, since some tanks will be unacceptable for some fish (usually having to do with size), THEN go get your tank, substrate, etc to suit the fish you're aiming for. Do more research while you're cycling your tank and only then should you buy the fish. Fishkeeping is an exercise in patience but the payoff is incredible, especially if you do it right the first time. Welcome to the Tank. :)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I also agree. A 20G tank would be your best starter tank. When people start with a 10G they soon find that they cant keep very many fish or the fish they want to keep. A 20G is going to give you more leway there. Also the larger the tank the larger the water volume (obviously :p) so the less your water is going to fluctuate, making it easier for you to keep things stable and healthy. Read those stickies and look around at different fish and go from there. :D

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Welcome! Convict is a type of fish. :) Definitely get an idea of what kind of fish you want to keep before going out and buying a fish tank. The typical newbie goes out and gets the 10 gal starter kit and a bag of fish, then wonders why they all die within a week. Don't let that be you! Research so you know which types of fish you'd like to keep, get an idea of what type of set up will fit your budget, time, and space needs, and ask lots of questions! This site is very helpful!

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
The fish profiles on this site are very helpful, as they not only show you what the fishies look like (very important), but also important information about compatibility, size, etc. I always read the users posts to get an even better idea if it is a suitable fish for me!

Good Luck and Happy Fish Keeping!

Dec 22, 2006
Hi fish people, I wrote about getting an aquarium. Well, I went to Petco and talked to the manager and she steered to the Eclipse Hex 5 w/ BIO-Wheel. I set it up (w/out fish of course) and soon after I got tiny air bubbles all inside. BUT after checking the BIO-wheel, I noticed it wasn't turning much. (the instructions said that it will stop and go and not go worry) BUT, the problem is after a few seconds when the wheel starts to turn, the axle falls out of place and the filter wheel displaces and can't turn! Any suggestions before I go back to Petco for my water sample? ( on Friday). Does anyone else have this system?
thanx for any help.

Dec 22, 2006
Also, need to add, after adjusting the BIO-wheel and (hoping it stays on course), the air bubbles in tank slowly disappeared. whew!...but I can't keep checking on the bio-wheel! Shouldn't it maintain a steady turn....without it falling off it's axle?
Thanx again!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It sounds to me like you don't have the Bio-Wheel correctly seated in its position. It shouldn't fall off its axle.

With that size tank, you can probably only have a few small fish.

It would be better if you fishlessly cycle the tank, as it doesn't harm fish. The stickies at the top of the Beginner Questions forum are very useful on how to cycle your tank (and make the water safe for fish).

Dec 22, 2006
Thanks all for your help

Hello fellow fish people! I went to Petco and asked about my bio-wheel problem....well...I'm embarassed to say, :eek: , I neglected to position 2 very vital pieces to anchor the bio-wheel!! (which were included in set). Now all is good! So, after following the proper procedure to fill tank and add fish. I've since acquired 2 guppies, one yellow and one orange and they are BEAUTIFUL!! I'm VERY excited to have my new "babies" in my home. I can't wait to add 3 more fish (which I know I'm limited to cuz of tank size). I know one day I will expand and have a larger family! (and tank!)
I appreciate all your help and the use of this site. It's very informative since I'm soooooo NOT educated in aquarium knowledge.
Have a happy and healthy new year to all!
Michele*celebrate *celebrate

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
I would stick with just the two guppies for now... are they both male? or did you get females? if female you will have baby fish soon. With the size tank you have i would keep to just two guppies for a while. Avoid the multiple tank syndrome... Look for your dream tank save and purchase it in peices or on sale if possible. I am going for 55 gallon tank and once it is set and done i am selling my other tanks, wish you best of luck in your tank and welcome aboard.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Not really a helpful tone there MissFishy.

2 small guppies aren't going to produce _that_ much bioload. The tank should cycle pretty quickly, without much stress on the fish.

Would it have been better to fishless cycle? Absolutely. Is it gonna be a big deal in the long run? Not really.

mccarthyitis, I do indeed think you are off to a pretty good start. Since you're cycling your tank with fish, you're going to have to keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels to make sure they don't get too high, but with regular water changes, you should be fine.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
"Flaming a Newbie" that didn't bother to heed any of the advice he was given is always sad and annoying. Why did I waste my time giving advice in the first place? A 5 gallon tank with 2 guppies is a bio load, even if it isn't that heavy. Now a 20 with 2 guppies would be fine, but the 5, he better keep up with water changes if he wants to see both those gups make it.

Your "tone" is often condescending and unhelpful as well Mr. J.