I'm a nube with SW. Need help please! :)

I'm almost finished with my aqua bar and I appologize to all the DIY fans like myself who haven't gotten any new pics from me. I've been extremely busy lately. Anyways, I just got back from my LFS and their price on a protein skimmer/wet-dry filter/sump is $300.00 for a 75 gallon tank. I think the brand name is AquaClear, but I am a little unsure. Is that good??? That price seems good to me, but I'm still a little skeptical. Also, they sell live rock for $5.99 a lb. That seems pretty steep to me just looking at some other articles from people who got it for around $3.00.... I just want to make my aqua bar look immaculate ,but at the same time not hurt my bank account along with my credit. Any help would be much appreciated! Any I promise that I will have some pics in the DIY column soon! It's gonna look awesome! And I will try to make it simple for others to do as well. I will try to always be a helping hand to others, it is the least I owe to those who have greatly helped me out on MFT.net :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Not sure on the equipment...but depending on the LR 5.99 is good compared to a lot of stores. Its really not in just how much it is per pound...but the quality/value of the rock has a lot to do with where its from/what it has on it/how dense it is. You might ask them how heavy one piece is and compare it with another kind of LR at another store (if there are other places nearby?) to see what you like more. A lot of people have told me that they get some good sturdy base rock for cheap to build on...and then spend some more money buying rock pieces that work good and look good for the effect you're going for in the tank.

I'm still a SW newbie...so I'm sure others will chime in with some thoughts on the equipment etc.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Any links to the sump, like the model you are looking at? Also how big of a tank do you have that the 75 rated filter would work on?

5.99 is good to me, mine was 7.99 per pound, luckily Im only doing a nano. Depending on the size of your tank Id suggest some base rock to get a nice foundation and nice peices to cover it up and over time the base will become more beneficial and filled with good critters.

Do you just have the tank right now, like just empty? Or have you been researching for some time?

sparker

Medium Fish
Aug 22, 2005
ohio
sorry about the link, his web site isn't up and going yet here is the phone number to "all about pets" (513)779-1970 he might be able to hook you up with everything you need and maybe some things that you didnt think of. He sold me a wet/dry system for $170, for my 90 gallon tank. he also has some good looking live rock

Outdated info.... sorry

Thanks for all the help, Sparkler. My profile info. is a little outdated. I live 2 hours northeast of Indy now in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It's pretty much in between Detroit, Chicago, and Indy. I will give them a call though. It might be worth the drive anyways. Thanks for your help.