I'm back and going 10g this time.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
Hey guys, did a semester at college. didn't really do anything for me so i'm taking some time off. Now that i'm home and looking for work i figured i'd start another tank and go 10g this time instead of 5g. the tank that i'm going to use currently has an African Clawed Frog in it which my mom is going to return to the pet store when she stops running her in home daycare this June. i was wondering how much (or little) i'd need to clean the tank to make it suitable for fish. if i leave in the filter and substrate would that eliminate or greatly reduce the cycle? or if it does need to cycle could i speed it up by adding water from the 5g tank that i used to have that my mom took over when i went to college. here's i was planning to stock. what do you guys think? i might wait to see if algae becomes a real problem before adding the mollys or platys and swap them for ottos or a snail.

6x neon tetras
3x albino cories
2 or 3x molly or platy (havnt decided yet)
1x dwarf gourami

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Yeah, it is awfully deserted around here at this time of year. Do you know if the tank has actually cycled yet? If it has, then just leave filter media and gravel and you'll be ready to start adding fish. Cycled tank water wont help for cycling another tank, you need things bacteria will stick to like decorations or gravel. You will be overstocked if you do all of those. How does 3 albino corys, 1 dwarf gourami, and 6 neons sound? For the corys, if you could find pygmy corys, you could keep a bigger school of them, that would be pretty cool...

Nov 5, 2009
CT
Yeah, it is awfully deserted around here at this time of year. Do you know if the tank has actually cycled yet? If it has, then just leave filter media and gravel and you'll be ready to start adding fish. Cycled tank water wont help for cycling another tank, you need things bacteria will stick to like decorations or gravel. You will be overstocked if you do all of those. How does 3 albino corys, 1 dwarf gourami, and 6 neons sound? For the corys, if you could find pygmy corys, you could keep a bigger school of them, that would be pretty cool...
i havn't actually tested the water but the frog has been living there happily for almost a year so i assumed it was established although i could be wrong. if i left out the gourami could i add the goldfish i currently have in a bowl on my desk? if not and i went with the gourami, 6 neons, and the pygmy cory's (4 or 5 i assume?) could i add in a couple oto's or a snail if algae became a problem?

Oct 15, 2010
I would say that it is cycled if it is almost a year old.

I wouldn't. Goldfish are coldwater fish that are very messy. The fish that you have selected are tropical fish. Yes, you might be able to add a snail or 2. Depends on the particular type of snail you are thinking of. I wouldn't add the otos with all the other fish- it would be overstocked.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
I would say that it is cycled if it is almost a year old.

I wouldn't. Goldfish are coldwater fish that are very messy. The fish that you have selected are tropical fish. Yes, you might be able to add a snail or 2. Depends on the particular type of snail you are thinking of. I wouldn't add the otos with all the other fish- it would be overstocked.
ya i figured the goldfish wouldn't work. and i was thinking like an apple snail? would there be a better option?

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
hmmm. good to know. for some reason i've never had much luck with apple snails. will definitely try out the nerite's
Nerites are the best, they work really hard with algea, you might only want one for a 10 gallon. I'd say 5 pygmy corys sounds good, or you could leave out corys and the snail and get red cherry shrimp, they are great algea cleaners and bottom feeders. It all depends on what you want for looks though!