I'm confused about sumps.....

freh2o

New Fish
Apr 15, 2005
Southern California
I'm very confused about sumps. I don't have a salt water tank yet but I'm thinking of getting one and I was just doing research on the topic.

So my question is: what is the difference between a quarantine tank, a sump, and the regular tank? (Okay I know what the regular tank is but how do they really compare? Are they really just extra tanks?)

Please help! Thanks so much. :p

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A sump is another tank that is plumbed into the main display where you can keep all your equipment out of sight. Thus the only thing you see inyour display is the place the water goes out, and the plumbing to get it in - heaters, skimmers and so on are invisible

A quarantine in an entirely separate system where new fish for at least a month go to make sure they aren't carrying disease. Most disease are near impossible to cure in a main display as the meds are so toxic to non fish lifeforms

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
furthermore, to add a little to your confusion (but hopefully prevent you from having some when you see this terminology elsewhere) some sumps are also refugiums...where as a regular sump is just a tank, equipment, and some water, a refugium is designed to allow for algae growth, pods, and other things which might be eaten in the display.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
If I had a larger tank (even 20 gallons), I'd certainly incorporate a fuge. The added water volume alone contributes a lot to stability, and the good macro algae/live rock and other goodies does wonders, especially if you're keeping a pristine, aesthetically aquascaped display tank. People have also planted mangrove plants in fuges... it is said they really cut down on nitrates.

The cool part is there is some cheap DIY ways of doing this too... I know Bowdy (another member) has made several sumps out of cheap and easy material.