I'm curious....(although it's kinda a dumb question)

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I'm curious about how everyone go about doing their water changes? If you could post a detailed description that would be awesome. I'm always looking for ways to improve my fish keeping skills.

Currently I vacuum my gravel usually taking out about 50% of the tank water (weekly). Then I take a thermometer and adjust the temperature of the tap to roughly match the temperature of my tank (because I understand that adding water the same temp is important). Then I fill a bucket and add dechlorinator to the water. Then I slowly pour the new water into the tank (I place a small cup in the tank so my gravel doesn't get seriously disturbed).

If anyone has any suggestions for me that would be awesome!! Both of my tanks are relatively small so I would love to hear about how people with large tanks do water changes!!

Feb 27, 2009
I do basicly the same as you do, other than I do only 1 time per month (more often if test results dictate, I test weekly).

I use a piece of airline tubing to slowly siphon water from my bucket to the tank mainly because I don't need to worry about disturbing the gravel since the force is very gentle. It takes longer with 8 tanks, but it's not like I need to babysit each bucket as it siphons back into the tank!

Feb 27, 2009
Not sure. I've had it for years. I see it at pet stores and in online catalogs all the time. I got a roll of 25 feet a long long time ago :)

I just set a bucket up and get it started, then go cook dinner or whatever else I may need to do (study for class usually high on my list)!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Ok so I have 3 tanks, and do plecos and African cichlids.

at the risk of getting crucified here. I do not dechlor my tanks. In fact I don't use chemicals at all. I stopped using chemicals maybe 3 years ago....

I buy fish from a breeder who runs 200+ tanks, and a long time ago she told me that dechlor was a waste of money for a multitude of reasons. Her philosophy is that chemicals are bad, she uses no carbon in her filters, no chemicals for ammonia etc. Basically her philosophy is that clean water solves all problems. Her tanks always look awesome and I have bought tons of beautiful healthy fish from her over the years. So I trust her advice. She also talked me into dumping my whisper filters and going to aqua clears. Aquaclear filters use a sponge and hang on the back, all you really need is the sponge, but you can put carbon bags in if you are removing meds etc. The aqua clears dropped my power bill and walah i don't have to buy carbon filter pads anymore, my tanks are also clearer and the aquaclears push far more water then the big whispers. Sponges last several years, so once you buy the filter you really don't need to buy much more.

back to water changes.

I think 50% is wayyyy tooo large of a water change. You are likely causing your tank to mini cycle every time you do a change that big (i don't even use 50% new water when setting up a new tank)

I do 15-20% weekly, with a python cleaning siphon, it hooks to my sink and power drains the water out, then fills with the flip of a switch. I test my tank every other day, although this may be overkill because i have not had a bad tank in years.

Also remember that the parameters at the bottom of the tank are not the same as the top. If you have bottom dwellers like plecos or other cats you need to be more vigilant about water changes.

If your parameters are getting wacky and that's why you are doing such large water changes, lay off the fish food for a few days.

Feb 27, 2009
nanu156, you mentioned in another thread that "Chlorination in low levels actually helps with gill function." but you never answered when asked where you learned this.

This is disputed by biology and ichthyology students I know and I would like to know where you got this information.

If you have been able to not use a dechlorininator, you have been lucky. Most city provided water is treated with enough chlroine and chloramine to be harmful and fatal to fish, as well as to harm and kill the biological filter of an established tank. The chemicals are added to the water to kill bacteria, and it quickly does just that.

I personally don't think its wise to advise most folks to do as you do, however.

As far as 50% water change being way too much, I disagree entirely. Very little beneficial bacteria lives in the water column, and as long as you are matching temperature and dechlorinating properly, I see no harm in doing that large of a water change. I've never had a 'mini-cycle' in any tank when doing large water changes, which I do monthly or ever 6 weeks, depending on test results.

I could not use a Python to do water changes in my tanks, since I want to avoid siphoning out the fry in my tanks. Change water is kept overnight to search for fry/eggs the next day at first light.

Everyone has their own method, and I'm sure everyone things their method is the best.

Just my 2cents.

Last edited:

breebrry

Small Fish
Jul 3, 2009
a town in PA
www.facebook.com
ok.. adding my 2 cents.. :) i use a gravel vacuum hose (probably about 3/4 inch opening) and tuck it into the corner of the tank.. I siphon about 20% and then i use gallon jugs to refill.. While refilling I use a dechlorinator (IE start right) and i leave the jugs sit for a few minutes with that in it..

depending on parameters or algae build up.. while the water is doing its settling thing.. i pull plants out and rinse and rub down to rid of algae..

sometimes (once every 2 months or so) i do a 50% water change and i pull out all decor and gravel vacuum the crap out of the bottom..( i remove fish first they are all little guys so i siphon water into a bucket and then put them in that bucket for the few minutes it takes..

the boyfriend helps here.. while i vacuum he usually cleans off plants with vinegar and rinses them thoroughly and we put them back in the tank add water back in and i pour the whole bucket (fish and old water) back into the tank.. i usually add some stress coat too just to comfort the fish...

personnally i think a 50% all the time is to much...agreeing with nanu here... my lfs said something interesting.. "they make their own envirnoment.. and if you change to much of it, its harmful" now naturally they are usued to moving water (most breeds) but if you take half of all the bacteria out you are allowing for all that amonia to come back because of lack of cyclage.. (lol like my made up word there?)

i just had an epiphany..could be all in my head though... lol.. even in the wild (lets think ocean) that water is basically a really big fish tank... all those millions of fish in one big pool of water with poop.. bottom feeders.. algae and all that.. and they don't get water changes.. just evaporation and rain... so hmm.. again.. i could just be making that all up HAHA...

anyway we all are doing it just about the same way you do :)

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
All very interesting.....
I have always been told that a 50% water change for a dwarf puffer is important since they are such messy eaters. Maybe 50% change is not necessary in the tetra tank.

if you take half of all the bacteria out you are allowing for all that amonia to come back because of lack of cyclage.. (lol like my made up word there?)
Also why would I be removing the bacteria with just changing the water? I thought the bacteria was contained within the filter (mostly) and gravel. Which I don't change expect for occasionally rising the filter in the old water.

i just had an epiphany..could be all in my head though... lol.. even in the wild (lets think ocean) that water is basically a really big fish tank... all those millions of fish in one big pool of water with poop.. bottom feeders.. algae and all that.. and they don't get water changes.. just evaporation and rain... so hmm.. again.. i could just be making that all up HAHA...
:p
For the most part I would agree with you about the ocean expect the mass of the ocean compared with the size of my tanks is greatly different*SUPERSMIL. Also most tanks do not contain the wide variety of fish that it takes maintain the balance in the ocean. But that is just my two cents!*thumbsups

P.S.
I was having fun with the smilies....so you can just ignore them!

Feb 27, 2009
achase - I've been keeping fish (fresh, brackish, and marine) for 30+ years and have never had an issue with doing large water changes when necessary. Puffers, lionfish, large catfish, and other meat eaters do NEED (my opinion) large water changes since they are so messy and leave a lot of uneaten bits in their water.

I seldom do 50% water changes on most tanks, but I've never had a 'mini-cycle' or whatever from doing one. I've moved across the country and set up the same 5 aquariums 1800 miles away. I kept only enough water to keep the gravel wet and ran the filters in the buckets the fish were in. When I set them back up, I added new (dechlorinated) water to the tanks, made sure the temperature was the same as my fish buckets, moved the filters over, and netted out the fish. Effectively a 90+% water change. No loss of fish or plants, (did lose a few shrimp), and no 'mini-cycle' (and believe me, I tested twice a day for a week, and daily for weeks to make sure).

You are correct, changing the water will not impact the n-bacteria much at all, as it lives on hard surfaces mostly (filter media, gravel, deco, plants, etc), not in the water column.

I've maintained HUGE aquariums (800-1200 gallons) that had a continous water-change set up. This resulted in a 100% water change every 28-30 hours. No 'mini-cycles' ever.

My opinion, from my own experience and those of other fishkeepers I know, large water changes do not hurt the fish provided you are not changing temperatures, KH or GH too much.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I think I will stick with my 50% weekly change on my DP tank just because how messy he is. But I think I will do about a 20 - 25% weekly change on my tetra tank.

Thank you to everyone for their feedback it was really interesting and helpful!!

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
i do weekly waterchanges of 50% with dechlorinated water and also vacuum.ive been doing this for a few years now and have never had any issues. your bacteria lives on glass, media etc. .
ive never heard of doing to much of a water change ! lol
you just want to make sure you clean filter media with water your taking out of the tank.when i first started this hobby i was rinsing the filter media with tap water ! lol
good luck