I'm cycled...Now What? (Live Plants in Tank)

Stykman

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2008
Aston, PA
For background on what I'm doing, here's that thread:

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...51344-long-time-listener-1st-time-caller.html

Now, I'm not Cycled Yet...but when I am, do I add the fish, or the plants 1st?

I'm assuming the Plants go in After the Tank is cycled? or not? In other words, how do I start the Live Planted tank?

After a few nights of research I narrowed my Fish List down to:

Angels
Corys
Mollies
Plattys
Rainbows
Ottos

I know everyone has thier favorites, but out of that list, and 125 gallons, would anyone recommend putting all 6 of those species together? If I did, I'll be getting most likely 6 Angels, 6 Corys, 4 Mollies, 4 Plattys, 8 Rainbows, 6 Ottos. Of course I'm not going to but 'em all at once...lol. And I would probably only get 4 to 6 at any one time.

Also, out of that above list, which one of those species is most likely to Breed, without doing anything special?

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
mollies and platys are the easiest but always get more females the males it should be a 2/1 or 3/1, and i heard agels are a little harder but if you get them young they might pair of when their mature and let nature takes it cour but i think you need broad leaf plant so the angel could lay their eggs, in if i got anything wrong sombody correct me :D

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
It is possible to "silent cycle" a tank. Put in lots of plants, add a few fish at a time. I did this with my 75 and never saw any type of ammonia or nitrite. It was at least 6 weeks or more before I ever got a nitrate reading.

The key is to have quite a few plants. They eat ammonia for breakfast. That, and stock lightly to start. Mollys and platties would be the best to start with. Leave the ottos, rainbows, and angels for later.

Stykman

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2008
Aston, PA
Great Stuff guys. Thanks for the Info. I will actually be starting the tank up this weekend. So now I have a Plan.

I did some reaserch on Plants. I have decided to go "Low Tech" to start. (is that what it means when you aren't starting with s CO2 system, and not using "really good lighting"?)

I've read about a few, but what are some suggestions from the Community here about what plants to start out with?

And I'm guessing, unlike Fish, you can't really "Overstock" with plants...or is that wrong?

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Load up on the plants. The more you have, the better. Anubias, crypts, Java Fern, Java moss, anacharis, hornwort are all good starters. Hornwort in particular is very good at sucking up excess nutrients and things like ammonia.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Plants will definitely help with the waste levels! I say fishlessly cycle and let your plants take root in your tank before adding the fish. Can't wait to see pictures!