I'm forced to use tapwater.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I'm on a rediculous financial budget (i know i know, saltwater very expensive, what were you thinking...etc) and i've broken my container for RO/DI water, therefor i have to spend another 20 dollars on a jug they'll accept, and in short...i'm broke to the point of not having 20 dollars (the joys of a poor student). So no RO/DI water for me.

But i really need to top off the tank, suggestions for ridding the bad stuff from tap water in approx 2-3 days? For example, letting it sit..?

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
One thing I was told to do, ( and I haven't tried it yet ) , was to make sure you have a clean bucket, mix in your salt with the tap water, and if possible, put an airstone in there so that the bubbles will keep the water moving. Just by sitting there, it'll bring it up to room temp, and burn off some of the unwanted levels of carbon amongst others. But I would check for some easier ways, because I'm sure someone can tell you better.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
basically that stuff is gonna be in there no matter what unless you put it through some sort of acceptable filter media, using it for one week wouldnt be too bad though, just do a small water change and feed on the light side.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
my grocery store charges 15 dollar deposit charge on the jug (which i dropped and broke) and then 4.99 for a 5 gal refill...which isn't bad, but i'm really broke. It's probably hard to comprehend not having 15 dollars to spare, but it's the truth.