Im going to have to go desperate mode...

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
The tank I was supposed to get, I never got, so my only choice now is to get the walmart package. I now this is radical, but my budget is around $60 and I cant do anything else.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
That is fine. That is where I got my 10g and it is actually a good tank setup, imo. They aren't the best but they work just fine for the average hobbyist. It isn't desperate.

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Now, that I am down to this crappy set up, what would be some descent fish to get, something flashy maybe.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
do you like a few big fish...
or do you prefer smaller fish in bigger numbers... ???

i like the 'small fish/lots of ' style...

so for me it would be...
cories for the bottom of the tank...
platies and tetras for the top...

colourful...active...groovy... :)

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
hmmm flashy fish for a 10. You could pick a nice specimen fish then add some smaller compatible ones to compliment it.

My personal favorites are

Ram
Krib
gourami - flashy, but can be aggressive to other fish the same size so one in a ten is max

The ram and krib both look nice with a group of cardinal tetras and about 3-4 harliquen (sp) rasboras. - they also all like the same water quality.

Edit - ps. you should be able to get a bigger tank than a 10 for 60 bucks - have you looked at petsmart? I am pretty sure I saw a 20 with the filter, lid and heater for around that price.....Worth checking out anyways

Last edited:

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
discus4everGrl said:
hmmm flashy fish for a 10. You could pick a nice specimen fish then add some smaller compatible ones to compliment it.
yep...flashy indeed...
i didn't say how many of each tho'... :)

as you go on to say in your post...
a 20 would be better...
lots of benifits with twice the water ... :)

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
if you have a pet supplies plus, theyre 10 gallon packages are about 20$ cheaper than walmart's, but they dont come with a heater but they do come with a coupon for 5$ off a heater if you buy it from them, which is kinda a better deal because you get to pick what you want instead of whatever is in the package.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
You could get the incandescent package (usually $10 less than the flourescent), buy two screw in flourescent lights (available at Wallyworld in the fish section also) and be able to have a nice planted tank if you choose. Don't be shy about shopping around and checking out freecycle/craigslist/etc, however -- I just got a free 40 gallon w/ hood/light off Freecycle. :)