im new at this help

Aug 24, 2005
jacksonville fla.
i have a pond in my backyard not very big ihave 2kio 10 fancy tail and reg. goldfish 3 algeeater . i was wondering if somone would tell me what tank i should get to bring them inside for the winter the kio are still babies the gold fish are about 3 to 9 inches long please help me many thanks sonya

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I would get at least a 55 gallon or bigger tank for goldfish that size (they will probably be bigger by the time you bring them in, too). Or, if like me you can't afford a 55 gallon or bigger tank, you can get a really big plastic tub or tote or even kiddie pool for them. They're cheaper, don't need a stand, and are designed to be able to hold that much water. We've got a big, long plastic tote that we're bringing my grandmother for her pond fish during the winter, should be able to set it on the floor whereever she wants it and fill it with water from the pond as we drain it.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
you don't need to bring in your pond fish during the winter. go to a pond store or lfs and purchase a pond heater. they're only like $70 and will save you the hassle and stress of moving fish around. here in CT where it gets very cold during the winter, we always just installed pond heaters to keep the ice off when i used to do this for a living. if pond fish can deal with CT winters, they sure as heck can handle FL winters!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
True, I didn't even look at where Sonya was from. Sorry...

My grandmother lives in the snow belt of central New York. So, even if a heater kept the pond from freezing over, she still wouldn't be able to get out to it over the winter to feed them or check on them.

Aug 24, 2005
jacksonville fla.
thanks for all the help i heard that the alge eater would die is that true and do yall know how often to feed the fish during the winter would it be a bad ideal to bring a couple of the fish in so i can stiil enjoy watching them and do yall like better ponds or aquruiams