I'm new from London

BlueBaron

Small Fish
May 11, 2005
Hello all I just bought a starter coldwater aquarium 19 Ltrs in fact.
I ain't put any fish in yet as I'm trying to get the tank right.
I like aquariums but never owned one before. *GOLDFISH*

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Hi there, welcome to MFT :) You've come to the right place to learn!

For some hints on starting up a new tank, check out the threads that are "stickied" at the top of the freshwater beginner info forum.

BlueBaron

Small Fish
May 11, 2005
Hi FroggyFox,
My first question is...... I have a stingray filter is it any good? it came with the kit but a pet shop worker told me to buy a gravel filter :confused: I ain't put anyfish in yet and I need to spend more money :mad: . Please tell me not so someone.
Thank you.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
hmm...I've never actually heard of a stingray filter. Is it a HOB (the kind that hangs on the back of your tank) kind? By saying a gravel filter...I'm thinking he meant an undergravel filter...which is the kind where you put a big plate underneath your gravel and attach an airstone and air pump or a powerhead to it. Honestly...if you already have a HOB, definitely no reason to add an undergravel.

Dont ever make a habit of listening to the pet shop workers. If they tell you something, usually best to say "ok" and then go do your own research on it either by experience or talking to friends or coming to MFT and asking what everyone here thinks. There are many more pet store employees who know nothing about fish and are more than willing to sell you a product to 'fix' your problems...then employees who are actually going to help you out.

First thing you need to concentrate on with your new tank is getting it cycled...then while its cycling (getting ready for fish) you can start researching types of fish and their compatibilities and deciding what you'd like to stock your tank with. There's a thread about cycling here that you can look at http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13406 and the rest of the threads on this post http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19357

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Cold Water Fish

I noticed that you mentioned coldwater aquarium. With no heater there are still alot of options for fish you acn have. White cloud mountain minnows prefer cooler water, down in the 60s and low 70s, as do hillstream loaches. Several variety of freshwater shrimp prefer cooler water as well. My loach tank linked to in my signature is a "cold"water tank as it has no heater. It gets down to about 68 in the winter, and up to 80 in the summer. Most of the fish prefer the winter temps though.

Last edited:

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
you could also buy like a 25w heater, which i believe is good size for that tank, and keep tropical fish.

welcome to the tank! nice to have some more british members on here :D