i'm new too

Jun 18, 2004
Maine, USA
Visit site
HI,
first time i've ever had fish. just learning. i have a 3 year old and he loves fish, thanks to that finding nemo movie :D
so we just have a 2.5 gal tank for now. we're trying to cycle it. we tried about a week ago with two neon tetras and a oto. cat but they all died (tetras first, then the cat). :(
so i started all over. we have two longfin danios now. they seem to be doing well. the tetra never wanted to eat but these guys are waiting for food. any newbie advice would be appreciated!

-felis_filia

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Welcome:) Tons to learn here!

I would like to say, however, that I see some problems. Neon tetras are some of the most finnicky and least hardy fish species that is commonly available. Not only do they need to be in groups of at least 6 to live in comfort, but they require 10g minimum, as well as very clean, ammonia/nitrite free water and low nitrates.

Otos are very similar. They are known for their tendency to be hard to keep alive and need very clean water. They also need a tank that has enough algae growth to sustain their diet (though they can be fed with algae wafers, fresh algae is best), which means they'd need more surface area than a 2.5g can provide.

On top of that, neons and otos are two of the fish that handle cycling the *worst*. They do not deal well at all with any detectable levels of ammonia or nitrites, both of which are rather prevalent when cycling a tank.

Also, (I hate to be the bearer of a bunch of bad news) danios are notorious swimmers. They are one of, if not the most, active fish out there. Even a 10g is too small for them as a permanent home. As with the neons, danios are schooling fish, which like to be in groups. 6 is a good number.

I would suggest either taking the two danios back, or buying a 10-30g tank for them and some friends.

Really the only thing that will live in a 2.5 gallon tank is a betta (just one), 1 or 2 African Dwarf frogs, and some killifish species that are hard to come by and generally not for the beginner.

Good luck and I hope I didn't scare you off!

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
One of the most important things you will learn here: Don't listen to Pet store employees! Especially without checking here first:D

A 15g would probably be just fine for 6 or so danios. Then you could get a few other small fish as well, maybe some corydoras catfish or a few small tetras.

You would need to cycle the new tank. In the beginner section of the site, there are some stickies about Fishless cycling. It is where you use clear, pure ammonia (like for cleaning) and use that to cycle the tank without any fish. That way, no fish are harmed during the cycling process and you can add all of your fish into the tank at once. The beneficial bacteria that cause a cycle (and if you aren't familiar with this, look cycling up in the beginner section) are located on surfaces, primarily in the filters. They are not found within the water. You would need a filter for the 15g tank.

You can probably keep the danios in the little tank (monitor the nitrate levels and keep them under 20ppm by doing frequent water changes with dechlorinated water) until the bigger one is up and ready. Fishless cycle should take about 1.5-3 weeks. If you know someone who has a healthy tank, ask if you can have a filter cartridge from their tank (if they've got more than one in it) or if you can borrow a cup or two of gravel. If you put it in a nylon and sit the gravel in your tank, it will help transfer bacteria to your tank and can help make the cycle go faster. All of this information is located in the Beginner Section, here:)

Don't hesitate to ask any questions. There are no stupid questions; just ones that go unasked!

BTW - Just noticed you're from Maine. Hello Neighbor:)