in support of schooling fish

tielbirdy

Small Fish
Oct 19, 2006
Maryland, USA
Hi all,

I was just sitting by my tetra tank trying to read a book, but constantly getting distracted by my fishies. They've inspired me to share...

If you see a species of fish that you like and it is a schooling species, please, please be sure to stock up to at least 4 to 6 of this same kind of fish. Schooling fish really do need others of their kind to live with. Even if you have a 10 gallon tank and this will mean that you'll only have one kind of fish in there, please do it. In the long run both you and the fish will be much happier.

What prompted this were the behaviors that I was observing in my red eye tetras. They do a lot of posturing and dancing with each other. This morning they were constantly circling and displaying. What I found most interesting was this: Two red eyes would circle each other, head to tail, and then one would stop, flip to a vertical position and do a little slow spin. Then the fish would break off and dance with a different red eye. If I had only one red eye in the tank I would never be able to witness this really cool behavior.

Happy fish-keeping!

sclabman

Large Fish
Jan 21, 2007
L.A.
agreed... my barbs are so much cooler now that they have a group of 12 to play around with. when i had 3 they would just chase and torment eachother all the time and one would always be hiding, the other two fighting.