Incandescent hood question

Hi, I'm new here and I had a question for you all. I was given an incandescent hood for a 10 gallon tank today and was wondering if I could put the little fluorescent bulbs in it without having to put a cover between the lights and the tank?

Thanks in advance!

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
You can but I wouldn't advise it. Water and electricity don't mix well and could easily end with disasterous results.

A new hood for a 10 gallon isn't much. And worth the extra money for peace of mind and saftey.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
If the hood is intact (has the little plastic light cover thingies), you can screw in the flourescent bulbs. Lots of people do it, including myself, for a wee planted tank. The hood I'm using currently has the bulbs a little higher and no provision for any light covers but I've used the standard incand. hoods as well without a problem. :)

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Those little plastic cover things don't do squat as far as keeping water away from the lightbulbs and electricity. You can get a deluxe 10g hood for not too much, with a normal fluorescent bulb and a full glass panel between the light and the water.

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
i would strongly suggest getting a 10 gallon hood as everyone said before water and electricity do not mix, i would completly avoid anything other than a new hood. It is the only really safe and logical thing to do. They are not much money either so it is worth the safety aspect more than anything

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The thing is, the incandescent hoods are popular with people who wish to keep a small planted tank. The small flourescent hoods don't throw anywhere near the watts an incand. hood with compact flourescent bulbs does. True electricity and water don't mix but I don't know anyone who has done this who has had a problem, yet know several people who are keeping plants well with this set-up. These hoods are hot sellers at fish club auctions now when they used to be snickered at. ;)

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Wow, I'm glad I read this thread because I just bought a 5.5 gallon tank and incandescent hood from Meijer but I put a screw in cf bulb in it to keep live plants. The hood also has a reflector. Is there anything else I can do DIY, instead of buying a glass top? The hood covers the entire tank, with just a hinged door to feed and a couple of small openings in back for the filter and heater.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I don't know what everyone's talking about... An incadescent bulb has the exact same possibility of electric shock as a compact fluorecent bulb, which comes standard with these things. The important thing is the metal part is competely covered by rubber or plastic, which is part of the ballast for incan. hoods.

The important thing is not overwatting your ballast, but most hoods tell you the maximum watts to use, and with CF, you should be fine, as they use less watts than incandescents.

I've kept an incandescent hood over a ten gallon, and like Seleya, I use compact fluorescent screw-in bulbs with no problems. It's the only way to go with a planted ten gallon. Been up and running for more than a year now. Glass between it will eliminate some of the lighting your plants will get.

MOS, I wouldn't worry about it. Why would complact fluorescents cause a problem when exposed incandescent bulbs wouldn't?

If someone thinks this would be an issue, could they please explain why?

In the saltwater side of fish keeping, we keep lights over water all the time. Sometimes with a plastic shield, sometimes not, but in that case the lights are placed higher above the water.