Increasing ph too fast

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey guys. I just use B-Ionic 2 part buffer for the first time. My ph was 8.1 before i added those. In 5 mn it was 8.3 ..waah. Kinda supa fast. I was supposed to put 13 ml of each bottle but i prefered 10 ml just in case...but still this is way too fast. Should i use a drip container do to it next time ?
Somebody used this product ?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What was your kH to start with? Aren't there some notes around this on how to adjust the volumes?

Read Randy Holmes farleys sticky on BiIonics in RC

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
6.3 is quite low. I would buffer that up before I started using BiIonic.

What corals are you keeping that you think are going to use this calcium?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I doubt you'll be using very much calcium then. Don't add what you don't need, so measure what your levels are doing once you start supplementing.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
SO are GSP, and your LPS aren't going to really burn thro' it. If you add a 'normal dose' I think you'll likely be overdosing the stuff, and most of it will drop out as precipitate OR you'll get a lot of coralline growth. Either way, it's an expensive way to carry on.
I would be tempted to just buffer my kH up to 9 or 10, then get by for calcium , as your needs are going to realistically be quite low by using very small amounts of kalk. As you are talking really small amounts, like a quarter teaspoon a day, you can just mix that into some RO and tip it in as a slurry, and not worry about dripping it - the amount will be so small so as to have only minor effects on your pH (if any).

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Good Ca, or just good water conditions? I doubt it's the Ca, though it might be the lower pH, possibly a result of your low kH.

Anyway 380 is the approx Ca content of natural seawater so I doubt that's your problem. 400+ are artificially high values that marine aquarists just happen to like. 380 is NOT a problem vaue unless you are wanting to grow stacks of SPS

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
wayne said:
6.3 is quite low. I would buffer that up before I started using BiIonic.

What corals are you keeping that you think are going to use this calcium?
Isn't that what part 1 of B-Ionic is supposed to do? You can add the parts separately as needed you don't need to add both at once. I do this all the time and yes, a small amount will raise pH considerably. You should only use a half dose for the first several times you use it and test your chemistry. Then adjust dose as needed after those times.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
True, and for what it's worth since I started using Coral Life salt mix I have never had to supplement Ca since. Always around 400. I just use B-Ionic part 1 to raise dkH and pH occasionally. Actually, it sucks that they won't sell the bottles separately.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well why don't you just use a bog standard kH buffer then? The fact that you can use parts 1 and 2 separately is just a marketing trick, it's a very, very expensive way to buffer kH. Comapre the effect to simply using epsom salts from the kitchen - same effect , somewhat different cost bracket.
The only reason to buy biIonics is that it is a very good, reliable and maintainable way to raise the Calcium levels in a small tank. For large tanks, heavy usage and for fiddling kH it is not good value for money.

So what do you think is taking the Ca down? Coralline. For a 30 point drop over a few weeks I tihnk I'd investigate the kalk slurry method