Indianapolis Childrens museum saltwater tanks - icky!

nifran

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Childrens museum saltwater tanks - icky!

I visited the childrens museum in the city I live in with my neice over the weekend, and made my way to the fish and animal area to see what kind of fish they had in thier tank. :)

To my suprise the tank was absolutely COVERED in brown algae (front glass, rocks, and sand or whatever was on the bottom of the tank - couldn't see it through all the algae), it was dimly lit (which causes this type of algae, right?).

Along the algae on the bottom of the tank was a layer (and I do mean a almost solid layer) of brownish orange centepede like things (bristleworms?).

As well, the entire tank was absolutely filled with small white organisms that I couldn't indentify (I do mean filled, they were all over the place - I wish I had my camera with me or I would've taken pics).

All the fish looked really sick, as well as the corals and other life they had housed in the tank.

I wrote a big long e-mail to the museum, but I have my doubts wether one little e-mail is going to do anything about the horrible conditions that these fish are being kept in. :(

When I talked to someone at the museum, no one seemed to know who was supposed to be taking care of the tank.

Anyone know what can be done? Any suggestions I can give them (if they'll listen)?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2003
Laurel, MD
Those are usually handled by a local contrractor. The dim lighting IS the cause of brown algea. It is possible that a strting of actinic lights are blown or something of that sort. To find out who is in charge, you will need to ask around with the employees. They are bound to have a maintanance schedule somewhere.