Inheritted Tank need info!

I inherited a 55 gallon tank from a neighbor that was moving and didn't want the hastle of moving the tank. As well as the fact that he will be remodeling his home.
So I had the space and have been an avid fish/aquatic lover for many years. It is so much easier to say ok, when it is free! *SUPERSMIL Well I have listed in my signature the inhabitants of the tank and was looking to get any pointers and additional info that could help in expanding my knowlege of aquatic life.
I just found out today that the Koi Carp was a...Koi Carp! I have been reading up on this fish and now know why it behaves the way it does. Any advice? Should I sell it, keep it, or find a pond somewhere (hoping that it doesn't destroy that environment? All the fish seem to get along!
If you would like to see picture please visit my homepage that I made today.
http://www.geocities.com/seth_long2001/

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The koi needs a pond - a garden pond, not a wildlife pond (aside from the ethics, it's illegal to release non-native species) They can get to be 3' long. We just had an awesome presentation at our Aquarium Society meeting last night on koi and saw some AMAZING fish! Figure on at least 100 gallons/koi -- the good thing is, where you are located, you don't have to worry about how deep the pond needs to be since you don't have bad winters. :)

The rest of your tank is overstocked even without the koi. You need to read up on each of these fish and learn their needs. Maybe the pl*co could move into the nice pond you're going to be digging for the koi? As well as the bass, perhaps. LOL....

I see what you mean, mushroomman182. I guess I have decisions to make after I rid myself of the koi and bass. I guess I will try to get that done first and then see where I can find another Oscar, similar size. I just don't want to get something to small and have the Oscar eat him. My Oscar seems mild maneered, but that may be due to the Koi's overactivity.

LongTyme,

I see you're in New Orleans. They have lots of people with backyard ponds around New Orleans. I bet you could sell that Koi for a good price. They are not cheap when people want to buy them for their ponds. Maybe a pond owner would take the bass off of your hands too. Check http://www.NOLA.com forums for ponds or water garden sections and put up a free post. A Koi needs a lot more than 100 gallons... more like 500 gallons for an aquarium which is about the smallest that ponds come unless they are the little pre-fabbed ones. Make sure the Koi goes to someone with a decent sized pond.. maybe 10' x 10' at least.

Thank you very much GoldLenny! It is not like I am in a rush to get rid of the fish, because they have lived like this for a couple years with the previous owner. I can just find the right market and help them help me! If that makes sense.
BTW, do you know of anyone who may want to get rid of their tank locally? I am in Gretna and looking to get another tank for my fiancee. I would like to do it kinda as a surprrise for her birthday.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Keep an eye on the New Orleans section of craigslist.com, you can find plenty of inexpensive aquariums on it quite frequently. Just be careful to check it out fully before buying and be sure it was used for fish, not reptiles or rodents. :)

LongTyme,

You still need to find a POND for the Koi. It is not even close to living a decent life in a regular aquarium. They grow to over 2 feet and are big swimmers and even jumpers so unless you plan on a GIANT tank, a pond would be a better and healthier place for it. It could already be stunted depending on how long it has been in the 55G but the stunting can be reversed once it gets into the proper habitat. Koi's can live over 20 years in the right sized Pond. If you sell it to a nice pond owner, you could use the money for a used aquarium system.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
keep an eye on craigslist...just depends what people really want to get rid of. There's a couple on there around here now that I accidentally saw that I'd love to get -=sigh=- (yes accidentally someone was looking for something else on there and pointed it out to me because they know I like fish lol) Buying used is usually SO much cheaper...go take a look at what a tank and stand costs new...and all of a sudden that 75 for $400 will start looking a LOT better. OR start researching SW and then it'll make you feel a lot better about FW costs ;) heh (I'm currently finding that one out the hard way!)