injured gourami

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I noticed this evening my female gourami has torn one of her "feelers" (not sure what they are really called). It looks like a clean tear and the feeler is very short now (only 1/3 is left). It doesn't seem to be bothering her but I am worried about it. Is there a possibility of infection? Should I treat it in some way?

Thanks,

Jenn

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Should be okay...just a little Melafix as Fishwhisperer said.

Only thing is I recall hearing that Melafix can damage the labyrinth organ on anabantoids...so use half strength perhaps. (I only heard this, I don't know if it's true or not.)

Also keep up with water changes and what not, to ensure clean water and contribute to infection prevention.

:)

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Thanks echoofformless. I did not know that Melafix can damage the labyrinth organ. I have been successful using it so far. I do know that a friend of mine accidentally used almost triple the dosage and his betta is still alive after three years. I guess it depends on the fish. Thanks for the information.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
FishWhisperer said:
Thanks echoofformless. I did not know that Melafix can damage the labyrinth organ. I have been successful using it so far. I do know that a friend of mine accidentally used almost triple the dosage and his betta is still alive after three years. I guess it depends on the fish. Thanks for the information.

Well with your and your friend's experience, I would say it sounds like the Melafix thing may be a myth. But who knows really...the so called scientists don't always give the full story. Sigh.