Inside and Outside Tap Water

Jul 12, 2005
Am looking for a quick answer to the following question.

Is water from the faucet outside likely to be the same as water from the kitchen or bath faucet?

The reason I ask is because I have my tank positioned and cleaned and ready to be filled. Using a hose pipe from an outside faucet would obviously be a lot easier than the 20 trips up and down the stairs with a 5 gallon bucket of water.

I'm happy to put in the leg work for my baby, but of course, less sweat is better.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
oh, wow I didn't realy do that, I just stuck the hose right in the thing and filled it up(have learned a lot sence then lol) I do have well water and I have never had a bigger algea problem in my life. first time having a tank(but still, crap load of algea.) I would realy think about going with the 5 gal jug's.....but if money is tight then...

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I dont think my outside water is the same as the inside water. when I was setting up my 2nd tank I filled it up with hosewater and it had a brownish tint to it. yuck! I dumped it out and replaced it with clean (sort of) indoor water.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
For a first time fill before cycling I used hose water too because the volume was so much and no inhabitants yet. But that's the last time, as my tap water has 1.0 ppm ammonia and nitrite. I think my system could handle that without shock if I do say a 10% water change but that of course is just going end up as more nitrate anyway. I use only RO water now.

Jul 12, 2005
Well the local waterboard kindly returned my call and left me a message stating that they do not add chloramine to the water. I was surprised they called. I think an english accent goes a long way in America ;)