interested in saltwater fish

Dec 30, 2006
Illinois
Im looking into trying out a saltwater tank. I am thinking about starting out with a 30g around 2 fish.

Before i go jumping into another hobby without any knowledge of saltwater fish, can someone point me in the right direction in what i need for the set up? filters, lighting, so on, can it be purchased at my lfs? From there on, one step at a time :)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Read the stickies at the top, then go to your local bookstore or library and get these two books.....

"The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta
"The Concientious Marine Aquariust" by Robert Fenner

Both are really good beginners books and will guide you to purchasing the correct equipment. The Paletta book especially for someone starting up a new tank. Once you have done your research we can then guide you to good equipment and staples. Just remember not all lfs' are the final word on the hobby or the subject. Many are misguided and don't keep up with the many advances in the hobby.....good luck and welcome to the salty side.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Exactly what Lorna said. Many fish stores will just tell you what you want to hear and sell you equipment that is outdated or just plain not reccomended for saltwater. I have Bob Fenner's book (it was the first one I bought) and it is very informative.

The key is research, research, research and also asking questions when you are unsure of something!