Intersting New Tank- Ideas?

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
I just got a new hand-me-down tank. It is an interesting one, 60 gal but sectioned off by glass partition into 3 20gal sections. It was used for breeding/grow out before. I would like make it into an interesting show tank having each compartment different but linked in some way. Any Cool ideas?
The only thing I have thought of so far is having a pair of different colored Angel fish in each section. But maybe some of you guys have better imaginations then me.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Wow! Sounds so rad! send in a photo! The angel fish would be cool! Also, what I think would be cool is to have Discus, Rams, Gourami, and some Angel fish in different compartments....If your gunna do that though, you gotta make sure the rams and discus have warmer waters! From like 80-83 degrees.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, lets go colorful here....

Partition 1: I'd get about 10 guppies in 1 part, and heavily plant it...fake or real, whatever. Then just let them breed like crazy..only a few will live long enough to add to the tank.

Partition 2: Blue Betta, just cause I love blue!

Partition 3: Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis.

They all like warm waters, so even if you only run 1 heater, and they all live in the same water...your good.

Nov 13, 2007
as far s decorations go, you could do a beach scene in 1 or2 with sand and palm trees, and an ocean with blue gravel....you could even do the beach in the center tank so it would be like an island...

Or, you could use slate to make them all look like linking caves....really, your options are limited only to your imagination...

HMarcks

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2007
Palm Springs
Tank Info

Each compartment is completely seperat from the other, no water flows between them. So I'll have to set up a different filter/heater(if needed) for each compartment. I was originally going to go with simple air pump filters in them. Would that be sufficient filtering with a planted tank?
I think salt/brackish/fresh would be awesome but that seems a bit complicated since I would have to house three completely different filtering systems. Anyone know how much room that would take up? I currently know nothing about salt water. It might also be difficult to regulate the tempatures. I will probably need to shoot for the same temp range in all compartments, yes?
I kinda like Sweetpickles idea of having cichlids from different regions. If you take a look at my current tank set ups you'll see I have a nice community tank with al kinds of colorful/cute/schooling/livebearing goodness in it. So I would like to lean toward something different (a bit more zeroed in) like the angel or the cichlid ideas. I'll have to think more on the fishes. But as Laura brought up the decore is going to be a big part of it. But I think it would be best to narrow down the fish first.
Don't be shy to give me some more ideas, already their has been some great ones. My problem is I get one thing in my head and I can't think of anything else.
I'll post a little pick of the tank later when I get home.

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
I would just put an HOB filter on the back of each one. And then depending on what route you go your equippment might change. Let me tell you though, saltwater isnt hard you just have to be patient. I just started my first saltwater tank [29gal] and i love it so much!What you could do is set up your freshwater tank.And then read up on saltwater and brackish. This site has taught me everything i know.I used to think saltwater was hard too but after reading a little a figured it out that its not, and hey im still in high school and i figured it out so im sure u could to. But if you do go the Cichlid route ,which I LOVE CICHLIDS, really the only fish i keep besides a few other fish. U would probably have to go with little shellies from africa[ cant add anything with them], hmmm maybe something like a rainbow pair for CA with a few other fish added, and then SA you could do a a pair of dwarf cichlids with more of community like fish. I dont think angels would be a good idea for a 20gal even if its a 20H.