intro........

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Hi there - I’m kinda new to all this - got my first tank 6 months ago - 55 gal corner unit. A week later 30 plants arrived - together with 4 Oscars, a Lima shovel nose, 3 sailfin Plecos, and an assortment of smaller cichlids. Then the filter packed up, on the same day the other 12 fish came. It was round about then I looked up “cycling” on the net - lol - oh boy.......

Eventually I stopped washing out the filter foam under the tap - stopped using bio-degradable sponges in my canister, and figured I should have got the Fluval 404 and not the 204. It took over two months to cycle the tank, but curiously, I lost more fish to the Midas than I did to water conditions.

Everything is stable now - the plants are now plastic, and there’s a 4ft 75 gal tank waiting to be set up so I can spread the fish out as they get bigger, and the Jack Dempsey is in a 2 gal holding tank till then, cos he was worrying one of my blood parrots to death.

It’s been a heck of a learning curve, and there’s so much I picked up from forums like this that “thanks guys” doesn’t even begin to cover it. Looks like I’m firmly hooked on keeping large cichlids now (anything under an inch long just goes into the Lima shovel nose), very fond of the individual fish, and the tank itself - I spend as much time looking at the tank conditions as I do watching at the fish.

I’ll try and get some pics up soon............
:p

MarkRW89

Large Fish
Aug 8, 2003
West Midlands, UK
Visit site
sorry to hear about your fish, it probably took me about a years worth of reading for me to say I could actually keep fish well. I wish I had the internet and this forum when I started.
Look foward to seeing the pics and if get a digital camera (when hell freezes over probably) ill post my tank on the rate my tank section.

P.S. you should investigate live plabts-they add an extra dimension to the hobby:)

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
I know this is going to sound crowded - but most of these are juveniles - nothing over 5 inches..........and bear in mind that most of these were gifts with the tank, and only an inch long when I got them, so at the time it wasn't as mad as it seems now.

3 sailfin plecos - 1 lima s/n - 2 blood parrots - 3 Oscars (the Midas had one)- 1 Moorii - 3 small (2")yellow things - 3 small (3") stripey things - 4 Haps (I think) - and a couple of blue fish the size of my finger.

Sorry for the lack of correct names, but with over 2000 pics to go through it's going to take me a while to ID some of these. I'll get some pics up soon which might help.

Once the 75 gal is up and running, half of these fish will move over, hopefully only leaving the Oscars and the parrots in the 55. They'll still outgrow that situation eventually, but it will do for now. The waters clear, parameters are fine. The 55 is a bow front corner unit where you can go in up to your armpit trying to reach the bottom, so the shape is better for the Oscars than it sounds, but yeah - I know it's not going to be big enough for more than 2 oscars in the long run.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
Hmm sounds like you are learning from experience.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first
and the lesson afterwards

Good choice of fish though, shovelnoses get awfully big I think. so do Oscars

welcome to the board:D

I am assuming your yellow-blue-stripey things are african cichlids. you will want to get these away from the oscars very soon like now because they will eventually become expensive feeders

post pics of your africans and me and soulfish and Verse394 can id them for you

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the tank! :)

I know fishkeeping can seem overwhelming at first, but it sounds like you're getting a good understanding of cycling, stocking and cichlids. There are plenty of people here to help you work through any problems you might have :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The moorii will get large too (8-11")...awesome fish, and when I get a large tank (100+) I want to make it a hap tank with a couple cyrtocara moorii :)

Sounds like you'll fit in well around here...welcome to the board!

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome folks -

Somonas - those stripey things and the yellows turned out to be Severums, the blue ones are Mbuna. Still have 4 unidentified Haps, but they're camera shy - lol - so it can wait.

So - my tank reads as follows -
55 gal...
1 blue Mbuna
1 zebra Mbuna
4 mystery Haps
1 Electric blue Hap
2 Blood Parrots
3 Oscars
1 Lima Shovel nose
3 Sailfin Plecos
1 Moorii
3 yellow Severum
3 striped Severum

2 gal...
1 Jack Dempsey

Just posted 2 pics of the 55 in "Rate my tank"

Thanks again guys..........

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
wow what a way to start the hobby purple!once you get all your fish figured out ,it sounds like you'll be set.all i got to say about those fish is think big,you should have fun with them.the shovelnose is a neat fish,i bet there good to eat.and a full grown sailfin plec is also quite a sight.anyways welcome to the tank