investation!!! :(

salty

New Fish
Apr 10, 2005
ok i have a 40 gallon tank that has been set up for about 3 months now and the other day i noticed hundreds of what seem to be tiny bugs (or tiny mantis shrimp) all over all of my rock (about45 lbs!) they only come out when its dark and u see them when u turn the lights on at night they run in to all the littles holes in the rock scattering like roaches :( i know this is really bad and i was wondering if anybody here could help me identify the pests and help my find a way to get rid of them ... my tank specs are:
40 gallon tank
45 lbs live cured rock
hermits
turbos
trigger
tang
wrasse (just added this today hoping it might eat these pests)
thanks in advance

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
these "pests" are actually beneficial organisms called "pods" (amphipods or copepods usually). they are an indication that your tank is stable and healthy, which is actualyl kind of surprising because you've got some big fish in a small tank...

salty

New Fish
Apr 10, 2005
so these are actually good? :eek: what is that these creatures actually do? they wont harm my fish? and what about my live rock will they not destoy it?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
yep, good! they mostly swim around and eat detritus and such. won't harm fish (will become a yummy snack), and they will burrow into your live rock but that will not destroy it (and is actually good because it increases surface area)