Is carbon necessary

Apr 10, 2008
I have run across several people saying that carbon is not necessary and can even be detrimental to a planted tank. I have a 90 gal with three green sandriana and two catfish. (new tank). The filter is canister style and right now I have carbon in two of the media baskets and bio media in the other two. The lighting is a single 48 inch full spectrum bulb 31 watt I think. Should I get rid of the carbon?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's really not necessary to run the carbon all the time. It doesn't really increase water quality significantly. The only time you really need to run it is to remove medication from the water. Most of the time, carbon is just an unnecessary added expense.

In planted tanks, carbon will remove trace elements that the plants use.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Yes, remove the carbon and replace it with a good quality biomedia. Proper biological filtration is critical for the success of a planted tank. If your biofilter is inadequate, algae will run rampant and you will encounter problem after problem. If you want carbon, get CO2.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I was thinking about this as I have an Aquaclear filter. If I put an extra sponge in instead of carbon will that be better? Or would it be better to go with a large bag of biomax in there?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I'll totally keep that in mind. Biomax only had to be changed every 3 months which is way cheaper then doing carbon once a month!

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
You should use a dedicated biomedia...you never have to replace it (well, maybe every decade or so). Simply clean it 4x a year. Even cheaper. The Eheim biomedia is good stuff. Be sure to keep the oxygen levels high in your tank via a surface ripple from your filter. The better the bacteria can perform, the better everything else in the tank will fare.