Is it Algae?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
I've noticed some sorta hair like growths on the leaves of my plants. They appear as tiny brown hairs at the tips of the leaves..almost like a fuzzy fungus type of substance.

Is this some sorta algae? how do i control it?

thanks

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
There are several fish that will eat this... The Siamese flying fox being the noted type. Look for the one without the Gold stripe as this is a "False" Flying Fox. . it will eat some ,but the Flying Fox is better.

flying foxes and siamese algae eaters are two differnt fish, then there is the false siamesis (sp?) which is another fish oftenly mistaken for the siamese algae eater. the good algae eating fish would be the siamese flying fox/siamese algae eater/siamese shark(i think that is one of the names). The fake ones that are oftenly mistaken for siamese algae eaters are flying foxes, false siamesis, and chinese algae eater(not as often as the first two).

Plecos also do a pretty good job at cleaning algae and also some shrimps and otos. but plecos do get really big...(small ones are usualy 3 inches to 5inches, big are a few feet long)

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
thanks guys. Im pretty sure its some kinda hair or thread algae. I'm about to import my amano shrimps over. wondering if I should get a small pleco. I dont see any siamese algae eaters or otos in my area. I DO see the chinese ones but arent they semi-aggressive?

Also, will plecos eat algae thats not on the ground or on glass walls? I always see them on the ground or stuck to the tank glass..
If i get a small pleco, its not gonna grow too big if the tank isnt big enuf will it?

usualy the algae killing medicine kills plants and inverts or will harm them so if you do decide to use it make sure you take out all the plants and inverts. Amano shrimp will do a great job on the hair algae and stuff so i think that is all you really need. What size tank are you takling about? a good pleco that stays small is a bristlenose pleco and they do a pretty good job (get up to 5in.)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I wouldn't add either algae killing tablets or a pleco to that tank. Plecos don't eat hairy types of algae anyway. A pleco or a Siamese algae eater are both too big for that tank. The amano shrimp will hopefully take care of it.

Do you have standard lighting on that tank? What plants are they?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
OK Ill hold off on the plecos.
I have the standard Eclipse 6 gallon hood lighting..i think its 18 watts?

I have anubias, java fern, moss ball, annacharis, varigated japanese rush

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
Definately have to agree with Lotus on the Plecos, they're generally a bad idea for planted tanks. Shrimp and otos are pretty much your best options for a small planted tank. Even otos will eat some plants though.