is it bad if my aquarium's stand isent the same size ??

mixspel

Small Fish
Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
here is a picture of my aquarium, its a 80 Litre aquarium (i think, im not sure) but the stand its on it is a little bit smaller. will that cost a probleme ?

Attachments

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
On a technicality it shouldn't be a problem - but I can't help being a bit nervous when I look at that pic.

The base would have to be perfectly flat or you could run into trouble - one knot in the wood.........

Other than that - from an engineering point of view - not advisable - but survivable - though that end gap is really pushing your luck

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i disagree with purple here, I think this is a very bad idea...even if the wood you have under the tank were actually long enough, i think you are just asking for trouble...spend 50 bucks and get a stand that is designed for a fish tank...otherwise, you may end up spending several hundered dollars to replace the carpet and fix the floor and wallboard, not to mention the risk of an electrical fire if the tank gives and pours water down into your outlet/powerstrip

mixspel

Small Fish
Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
okay, my seconde question, the tank is still empty from fish, its bin 5 days like that, if i baught the stand for it, can i move it with the help of some1 to the stand ? or i have to empty it from water ?????

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
It's not that large a tank, personally I would just drain down about two thirds of the water and then have 2 people move it carefully.

...it looks like it's partially drained down already....;-)

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
mike: im gonna reserve judgment for the moment and try to answer as best i can, though i agree a lot of these posts do seem a bit trolish

and yes, empty out the tank...again, why risk breaking anything, especially now that you have the correct stand?

Sep 30, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
PERSONALLY, I THOUGHT I WAS STUPID BUT AFTER READING YOUR POSTS MAN I JUST DON'T KNOW... YOU SHOULD SET YOUR TANK UP ON A NICE FLAT HARD STURDY SURFACE AND FOR EXTRA PROTECTION I LAID A PIECE OF CARPET UNDERNEATH MY TANK SO TO HELP DISTRIBUTE THE WAIT EVENLY THROUGHOUT THE TANK. I WOULD RECOMMEND ALSO DRAINING ALLMOST ALL OF THE WATER OUT INTO A CLEAN BUCKET AND BY CLEAN I MEAN SOMETHING THAT HAS NEVER BEEN CLEANED WITH CHEMICALS BEFORE... YOU CAN GOTO YOUR LOCAL HARDWARE STORE AND PICK A COUPLE UP FOR NOT THAT MUCH THEY'LL COME IN HANDY LATER WITH A SALTWATER TANK AS WELL... WHEN YOU GET HOME JUST RINSE THEM OUT WITH WATER. I SAY TO EMPTY OUT YOUR TANK AND MOVING IT JUST SO THERE'S LESS OF A CHANCE OF SOMETHING GOING WRONG DURING THE MOVE YOU WANT TO TAKE AS MUCH WEIGHT OUT OF THE TANK AS POSSIBLE... THERE'S NO REASON IN TRYING TO BE A HE-MAN WHEN IT COMES TO AQUACULTURE UNLESS YOUR BUILDING A POND OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT...

mixspel

Small Fish
Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
:S with 2 filters, 2 heaters , and the water that is inside is bottled water, with aquafresh, with all those, do u think i have to wait a month ? the guy at the fish store told me a week :S

Sep 30, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
Don't go spending all your money on Avon and all that to fill your tank they make alot of dechlorinators and dechloraminers out there I suggest just buying a bottle of ammo-lock this will turn your tap water into fish safe water, it takes the chlorine and the chloramines out and detoxifies the ammonia in most tap water, i suggest using a fishless cycle you can either goto your local fish store and buy some live rock which will introduce some ammonia to your tank or you can goto the grocery store and buy pure ammonia (unscented) and add a few drops into your tank if you really want to keep your ceramic castle and all that i suggest using the ammonia or you can buy some poor fish that will ultamitly die in your tank even if it makes it through the cycle your fishes internal organs will not be functioning properly and will lead to the early death of your fish. I just started my cycling process about 3 weeks ago and i have about another month to go. First your ammonia will go through the roofs and the will drop back down to zero this will take about 2 weeks once your ammonia has dropped you'll notice now your nitrites are maxed out this is the hard part of the cycle you'll need to buy some algae eaters and perform water changes once the nitrites are down to 0 you'll notice your nitrates have now maxed out... I'm on the nitrite process... If you have live rock in your tank they will help consume most of the nitrates... really the best filter you can buy for your tank is the natural one it produces on it's own the 3 different types of bacteria your tanks creates will ultimately keep your tank clean. You'll still have to perform water changes and keep an eye on your pH but for the most part after this cycle your tank will be fish ready... approx. 2 months depending on tanks size the bigger the tank the faster the process usually.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well, I would put some kind of live rock or sand in there to getr some bacteria going. This will also jump start your tank. If you aren't using live rock/sand which I highly disaprove of, and the salt is already disolved I would start adding some household ammonia. Do this every few days until it registers zero. Then you could start to add some hardy fish.