is it bad to put the heater in the water?

mixspel

Small Fish
Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
will the heater harm the fish if it was in the water? i have 3 pockets in my aquarium, 1 for the filter, one for the heater, and 1 i dont know why is it for, why is it for ? so the heater i puted it in the aquarium and i was kinda thinking of getting an extra heater for the heater pocket, like that in case 1 fail, i have a seconde one running, coz the one i currently have isent satisfying me enough, the water temp is 22.C or 23 Csometimes, 24 /25 isent better?

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Also you have to relize how much space your heating if you have a 29 usg tank then your not going to what to put an additional heater into your tank it will probably overheat your water.

it is always a good idea to have a second heater - if your primarly fails. but if you have a smaller tank then you should only use one heater at a time if its big enough then its alright to use two heaters. also you have to look at what size the heaters are i had two 200 in my 125g and it was fine - I still use two but i have two tanks being filtered by one so it works out fine.

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Well, that is kinda funny because it happend to a good friend of mine and when he took out his second heater temp stayed at 81F so your right, there is no way.

---- what was I thinking ----- because it is impossible right ? ? ? ?

Sep 29, 2004
Mifflinburg, PA
Visit site
Ok, now here's a question for you on the lines of heaters. I have my turtle in a 10 gal aquarium right now with about 3 gal of water at the most. I bought a heater for 2-5 gal tanks cuz I didn't want to scauld the little fellow, but it doesn't do too much. I have to leave the light on all the time to keep the temp. at the recommended 75. [I am getting or building a bigger tank for him (haven't decided yet) and will need a bigger/better heater.] Should I maybe get another one and put on the other side of the tank to uniformly heat it or keep with my current set up until the his big tank is ready? any ideas?

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I would say to get a 150 or a 200 for you bigger tank just make sure that you get a themometer. for the most part heaters will shut off themselfs and the are realiable. so just buy 150 from our LFS and set it where you want.

because if the little heater isnt doing much then your going to want to change anyway ( I think ). anyway you can use is for the little tank for now and it will surve as a nice upgrade.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i dont believe that two heaters will cause a tank to overheat if they are working correctly but DSK and i clearly have different opinions about that, neither one is less valid...his experiences speak differently than mine is all

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
be sure to get a heater that has actual temperature intervals--or else
i use a rena cal excel heater in my sw tank and it is perfect....it has a light shining on the tank temp and the temp it is set to, so that minimizes having to reach in and adjust it and such...

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Sam, I live near Ann Arbor I go to Fish Doctor in Canton and Ypsi, The Fish Tank, and sometimes I go to Pet City on Mich. Ave.

Camaro, You are exactly right different experience's -- thats all.