Is It ICK?

May 12, 2005
Hopefully someone can help me. I have to Females one guppy and one Leopard Danio that are pregnant. Their are both due soon. Both of them are rubbin on the gravel. Is it ICK or just a sign that they are going to deliver? I have other fish in the tank but they show no signs of ICK. I looked closely on my 3/4 Black/pastel and he doesn't show any signs. I loss my whole tank before to ICK because I caught it to late. Should I treat the tank? :confused:

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
There is a thing called "flick" where either the fish have tiny parasites on their skin or the fish have gotten some grit under their scales,causing them to flick them selves againts the decor of gravel. I dont know the proper name for this condition

May 12, 2005
Their gills are a pink. they are all looking healthy haven't noticed anymore signs. i haven't seen the female guppy do it anymore. Just the one Danio. I heard that they like to "play" in the gravel could that be it?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
With ick, the parasite actually starts internally and the white spots are cycsts from where the parasite has evacuated the skin, and fallen in the substrate to lay eggs, hatch, find a new host, and start the cycle over again.

There are many fish diseases that cause scratching. However, if you feel that your fish may have ick you should put them in a seperate tank if available as ick is one of the most contagious fish diseases - when in the cycst stage. So...if they have ick and it hasn't burst free from cycsts into the tank then you may be spared treating a whole tank for ick by putting potentially infected fish in quaratine- it's best to be cautious.