is it safe

Aug 14, 2007
hey i was wondering if anybody knows if u can stick a store bought ornament in a fish tank not one from a pet store its a plastic JAWS figure wanna no if it could be harmfull to my fish i would boil it first before sticking it in my tank thanks . *twirlysmi

tjmino

Small Fish
Aug 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
well i'm absolutely not the most knowledgeable person on this forum, but taking a wild guess at the fact that many components of a fish tank are often fashioned from plastic (pieces of the filter, for example), I would venture to say that it is safe as long as it is properly cleaned.

as for boiling, i don't know many plastics that can withstand boiling, but if it doesn't fall apart in the hot water, you shouldn't need to worry about it dangerously decomposing in your tank.

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
i would just check that there is no way that the plastic has been painted if it has i would be careful.....i was going to stick an ornament in my tank, i soaked it for a few day and a section started to loose a paint coating that i thought was plastic.......stick it in a tub dof water for a while to see what happens