Is live rock form the california coast usable?

Im not a saltie so I may be wrong on this but I am from California. If you are talking about Coral and Coral sand we dont have Coral out here, the water is too cold. They may also be a problem in that the water in a tropical salt tank will be much warmer than the water off our coast.... not sure if Im correct on that though

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Yeah to some extent, but expect a lot of die off as quite a few things, especially algaes, won't adapt to to higher temps well

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
To start with it is illegal to take anything out of the water. I am not familiar with Californias regulations but you will definatly need a permit. The rock will need to be kept at a lower temp...thats all I can think about.

Sep 30, 2004
Niwot, CO.
Visit site
If you pick it up yourself or even from a store you must cure the live rock before putting it into an established tank, you never know what kind of boogers are hiding in there... I had to learn that the hard way... If your picking it up out of the ocean bring really thick black plastic bags and some sturdy thick paper towels... wrap the live rock in the paper towels while submerged in the water but them in the bag and take them home for curing. Oh and make sure to keep some of the water from the location in the bag to about a quarter full this will also help keep the bacteria from dying off. do you know how to cure live rock... It's a long stinky process

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea, and then hire a laywer, it is illegal to take ANYTHING from the beach/coastal waters without a permit, there was a national law protecting the tidepools of california, just spend the money and support the aqua cultured live rock business.