Is my 55g tank overstocked?

Dec 1, 2013
So I have a tank that is 55 gallons, in it I have:

2 Jewel Cichlids; 1 I'm pretty sure is a hybrid and is about 5-6 inches, 1 that is around 4 inches
2 Parrot Cichlids; both are mature, 1 is probably 7-8 inches, 1 is 5 inches
1 Pleco
3 Assorted Cichlids; all around 2-3 inches
2 Barbs; the store never really told me what they were called, but I got them without thinking. Both are around 5 inches.

I'm really guessing on the sizes because I've never actually measure them. However, I have two filters and a bubbler running in my tank because, quite frankly, the Parrots are a bio-load. My water is clear and I do water changes every other week due to business. Besides for that, all my fish are very active and have a good appetite. I'm adding this information in case their behavior or their upkeep is a sign of overstocking.

As for the reason I'm asking, I'm trying to decide if I want to sell my Barbs, I would rather keep all my fish happy then keep them for my viewing pleasure. Visually, my tank does not look overstock, but for the fish I'm wondering if it might be.

Thanks for replies! :D

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
It does sound like a lot of large fish for a 55g, plus what type of pleco is it? Some of those can grow huge.

On the other hand, if they're doing well and you don't mind keeping up on the extra maintenance that might be involved, you can make it work.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
You should also know that mixing African and South American Cichlids can get a bit dicey. They have opposite signs for aggression and passiveness. On the other hand your jewels will likely be way more aggressive than the parrots. I personally would consider overstocked due to compatibility issues. If they had more space you may be able to minimize those issues.

Side Note: Newman I had no idea someone from MFT created aqadvisor? That's awesome.

Dec 1, 2013
It's funny you say that, they all get along fine, I've used the mirror method to keep the violence down and even before it was there, everything was getting along fine. I put in a lot of hiding places for the fish in case also. I'm hoping to get rid of the barbs soon, but I need to find time and a place for them to go... Anyways, put the pleco in my sister's fish tank which became open to accepting a new fish.

Dec 1, 2013
Don't worry about the pleco anymore, I put him in my sister's tank so he can have more room. He's not one that grows large, he gets to be about 5 inches, I believe. Anyways, I have two filters going on the tank and there is little to no agression amongst the fish surpsingly. I'm hoping to give the barbs away soon because I do agree there are a lot of large fish.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
what species of pleco is it? if you know it only grows to about 5" then you KNOW what it is. otherwise you have no idea.
how large is the new tank that the pleco is in and are there other fish in there with it? which fish and how many?

Dec 1, 2013
It's a 50 gallon, and the pleco is a spotted *forgot word here* pleco, which I was told would get about 5 inches and would fend itself well in a cichlid tank. I'm sorry I didn't remember the entire name, next time I visit the breeder I'll ask again.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
o if it's a spotted bristlenose then you're fine. those are some of the most useful plecos ever :)
they normally just call them brown bristlenose plecos because all of them have spots. the red and green dragons don't but those are very expensive..

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Yup they did wonders for my cichlid tank. Rarely had to clean algae. My wife's tank has a green dragon in it and its finnage is pretty unbelievable. I wish we saw more of it.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
That blue is a Maingano, the yellow is a male Kenyi, that big one is a South American, looks like a Jack Dempsey. He will get BIG, but a nice looking fish to have.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yeah the BN pleco is fine to have in tank over 15 gallons in size i think. so you'd be ok if he stayed in your 55. as long as overall fish stocking wasnt too much.