Is my filter broken?

May 4, 2011
Ohio
I have a used Marineland Emperor 280 and I tested it today, it seems to do the opposite of its intention, instead of filtering water through and back into the tank it is somehow draining itself of it's own water? If I fill it all the way it comes out the spray bar for a while but not the lip and you can see the water level dropping, after a few seconds it doesn't come out anywhere at all but the water level continues to drop, what is happening? :confused:

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
The water level your tank is dropping? You may have a faulty filter but then again I don't know much about filters. Did you buy it recently? Do you still have the receipt? You could possibly try to return/exchange it and get a new filter and see if it does the same thing.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I have a used Marineland Emperor 280 and I tested it today, it seems to do the opposite of its intention, instead of filtering water through and back into the tank it is somehow draining itself of it's own water? If I fill it all the way it comes out the spray bar for a while but not the lip and you can see the water level dropping, after a few seconds it doesn't come out anywhere at all but the water level continues to drop, what is happening? :confused:
I would make sure the impeller is seated correctly. The magnet goes down in the filter and the plastic fins from impeller should be on top.
Would also see that the impeller turns freely and that the lift tube is seated on the impeller housing.
Maybe googling parts for Emperor filters or Emperor Filter operation would provide some more info.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I would make sure the impeller is seated correctly. The magnet goes down in the filter and the plastic fins from impeller should be on top.Magnet must be seated down in the well, or hole.
Would also see that the impeller turns freely and that the lift tube is seated on the impeller housing.
Maybe googling parts for Emperor filters or Emperor Filter operation would provide some more info.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I feel like an idiot, I left the cartridge in and it was sucking up all the water. Took the cartridge out, primed it and it went off fine, doh!
*laughingc At least you caught it. I have on occasion forgot to turn filter's back on after maint in the tank, and luckily have caught it beofre losing any fish/bacteria.