Is my nitrite level too high?

highland

Small Fish
Aug 10, 2005
my pH is 7.6, Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 4, and Nitrate is 10.

I'm a bit concerned about my nitrite level. Is 4ppm ok? If not what should I do?

Thanks

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
the fact that you have no ammonia, some nitrite, adn some nitrate, probably indicates that you are in the 2nd half of your nitrogen cycle. Read the sticky threads posted at the top of this section about cycling a new tank and setting up a new tank. You are on the road, but still have a little ways to go before your tank stabilizes and is really ready for fish.

If you have fish in yor tank already, then you need to change water. If I were you, and I had fish in the tank, I would do about a 1/3 water change every day for five days straight, as this should bring the nitrite level down to about 0.5ppm. Your bacteria colonies are growing ont he surfaces inside your tank, NOT in the water, so changing the water does not decrease your bacteria colonies, it only cleans up the water to keep your fish healthier through the cycling process.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Neons are not the hardiest fish to use during cycling, in fact, they are probably the least hardy fish you could have chosen. Good luck. Some other fish you might look into getting soon, if your neons don't make it and you find yourself trying to cycle an empty tank, include:

zebra danios
mollies
corydoras

highland

Small Fish
Aug 10, 2005
NoDeltaH2O said:
Your bacteria colonies are growing ont he surfaces inside your tank, NOT in the water, so changing the water does not decrease your bacteria colonies, it only cleans up the water to keep your fish healthier through the cycling process.

I didn't know this. Thanks!

highland

Small Fish
Aug 10, 2005
NoDeltaH2O said:
Neons are not the hardiest fish to use during cycling, in fact, they are probably the least hardy fish you could have chosen. Good luck. Some other fish you might look into getting soon, if your neons don't make it and you find yourself trying to cycle an empty tank, include:

zebra danios
mollies
corydoras

I really had no choice on that one. Wife thought they were cute :p

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Don't feel bad. My wife has made some bad fish purchases for me too. I think it's better just to go along sometimes, rather than have them feeel totally out of the loop.