is my pl*co dangerous to fry?

Apr 10, 2005
Vancouver Island BC Canada
hey all,

I have a 10 gallon tank split with a divider... I have 5 guppy fry born 3 days ago, on 1/3rd of the tank, and on the other 2/3rds I have the 4 female and 2 male guppies....

This tank also has had a run of planaria from when I was trying desperately to get my ADFs to eat (they died, hense the new batch of guppies that I only just got on Friday!). I'm finding the planaria likely won't get any better, because the fry are terrible at cleaning up the bigger bits of food after I crush it up, and that side of the tank is getting polluted again....

so... what are your suggestions??

Could I move my 4 inch pl*co into the 10 gallon to deal with the excess? (he is currently in a sparkling clean 20 gallon, that I have to put in extra sinking tabs just for him.

Or... is it safe for the fry for me to use my gravel vac and give the tank a good cleaning?? or maybe I should just move them into a temp bowl and clean the tank? I don't want to shock the adult females, as I'm pretty sure 2 more of them are about to drop.

Maybe I should get a divider for the 20 gallon? Give my oranda and pl*co 2/3 of the 20 gallon, and give the adult guppies the other 1/3? (the oranda's tank sits pretty at 79-80 degrees naturally in the summer and there is a heater to maintain that temp, which I know is a little warm for a goldie!

Oh I just don't know what to do about these guppies! Any help would be great :)

2 planted tanks....
20 gallon with a 3.5 inch oranda and a 4 inch pl*co
10 gallon divided with 5 fry on one side, 2 males, 4 females on the other.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would leave everything where it is, and start gravel vacuuming the fry side of the tank. Fry need more water changes than adult fish, as they eat more and poop more. Water changes won't harm fry or pregnant females, just watch out for fry going up the tube!

May 12, 2005
I use a piece of airline to vac. my fry tank. the water that I take out goes into a 1gallon pitch. then I check for any babies before I dump it. You should defenitly do water changes at least one a week with the fry. Being that they are with Adults it really won't hurt. It is good for the pregnant guppys to have clean water to. Much more likely to deliver healthly fry. I would move any if them. Just do your water changes and you should be fine.