Is my tank cycled?

Oct 25, 2010
Newbie here,

10/22/10- Bought a 25 tall gallon fish tank, filled it with water, gravel, aquatic plants (13 total plants, 7 different kinds, 3 plants from my smaller aquarium), added water, heater on, filter on, and used Tetra AquaSafe with new bioextract.

10/23/10- 24 hours later, I put the whole bottle (3.38 oz) of Tetra SafeStart and had run for 2 hours. Added 4 cups of gravel from my old aquarium (not rinsing the gravel) into the new aquarium. Bought 6 black neons and 6 skirt tetra from Petsmart and added them into the tank after letting the bag sit for 30 minutes for them to adjust to the water. Been feeding the fish twice a day. 6 cups water from my smaller aquarium into the new aquarium.

I started doing research and I wasnt suppose to put fish in.

10/27/10- I bought Jungle Quick Dip Complete (7 test in one kit) and tested my water (1pm). Results:

Nitrate 20 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Hardiness 300 (very hard)
Chlorine 0
Total Akalinity 120
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0 ppm.

I thought I did something wrong so I took the water to the Petstore and they tested my water and got the same result. They said I shouldnt worry about the Ph because that is normal in my region and gave me the warning of not adding any chemicals to lower Ph. I do have a driftwood that I've been soaking for two days and boiling for 4 hours a day.

How do I know when my tank is cycled? I would like to transfer my neon tetras but only when it is cycled. any help?

CJ

Feb 27, 2009
Agreed that it looks cycled also, but you may want to test your tap water. I get nitrate readings between 10 and 20 after a good rain several times a year (I live downriver from 'farm country').

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
it sounds cycled to me too. keep fish in there, change out a bit of water every week or so, see if your nitrates have risen from last week before you do a weekly water change. if you consistently get 0 ammo 0 nitrite and some growing nitrate reading after around a month, I'd say you did everything correct, and you would be ready for more fish(few)

Oct 25, 2010
Thanks a bunch.

I took another water reading: results: 10/28/10

Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Hardiness 300
Chlorine 0
Total Akalinity 120
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0

How often do I test the water?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
about every 3 days is good i'd say. once your comfortable you could test weekly and then ease up once you know what youre doing.

I hope you know that nothing in your tank should ever be rinsed in tap water - only old tank water. no tap water should ever go into your tank w/o being dechlorinated first.