Is my tank too crowded??

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
I'm unsure ifmy tank is too crowded, fill me in

I have a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium, I keep the temperature around 78 degrees, on the left side of my tank is some cave formations, and on the right side is all planted. I use a 50 gallon filter, because I found my 30 gallon kept breaking down, it was a cheapy, so I replaced it.
For Plants, I have two sword plants, fully matured, mixed with some lace plants and a little underwater grass to balance it out, I find my loaches especially like drifting through the planted area and resting on various leaves and stems.
Fish: 2 juvenile clown loaches(1male, 1 female) about 2inches long, 2 golden dojo loaches(both male, the place i picked them up sexed them wrong. 1 horseface Loach(apprx:3 inches), 1 Pleco(7 inches, got him when he was only 2inches) 2 painted tetras, 6 xray tetras, 8 neon tetras, 1 guppy, 2 fancy guppies.
I recently found 2 fry in my tank, and originally suspected them to be guppies, but now I believe they are xray tetras, they are isolatedand fed on brine and mysis.
I use a aqua-glo lite for the plants, and it sure shows off my neons coloring really well as well.

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
I'm sure that you're overloaded according to the 1"/gal rule, but I never worried too much about that. How long has the tank been running? Do you know what your parameters are? As long as ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all under control then you're fine. Although the Pleco may be a little much just because it will eventually become to big for the tank and it will also most likely eat some of your plants.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
you are bordering on overload. You say your loachs are juvies so they are gonna grow. A bigger filter is nice, but a 29 gallon tank is only going to allow so much oxygen exchange at the surface and that's tank size dependent as much as filter size. Another thing is alot of bottom dwellers seem to be poop aholics so thats another factor. Since you have a good load at the bottom of the tank, be sure to gravel vac. I wouldn't add anymore fish at this point.

DarkMuse

Medium Fish
May 12, 2005
Kentucky
Well, I just thought I'd put this into perspective for you. (meant in a nice way). Here is a list of your fish and their average adult sizes (now, granted, they will vary). I got all of the sizes from this site. Fish Profiles

(these sizes are for ONE fish)
Clown Loach: 11.8"
Dojo Loach: 9.8"
Horsefaced Loach: 11.8"
Pleco (assuming its a common one, size ranges with each type): 17.7"
Painted Tetra (which is really a Black Widow Tetra that has been dyed): 2.3"
X-ray Tetra: 1.7
Neon Tetra: 1"
Guppy/Fancy Guppy: 2"

When you add it together for the entire amount of fish the inches comes to 101.5" in a 30 gal tank. I am not one to say what is overstocked, because I have been before, but you do seem to have alot of fish in the tank. You might want to think about getting another tank or maybe getting rid of some of the fish. Of course, like I stated before, each species has a different size that it will get, you might want to look into finding out which ones you have.

To read more about the dyed fish go here .

bfish

Medium Fish
Jul 23, 2005
el cajon california
i THOUGHT IT was one " for every square inch of surface area not gallons. surface area allows for more oxegen exchange. that is why retangular tanks are more prevelant. I am sure there are people who are going to bash me on that thought.

Last edited:

bfish

Medium Fish
Jul 23, 2005
el cajon california
I may be wrong but 1" of fish per 10 sqaure"s of surface area. 12x40" = 48"s of fish. I think the equation is auctually higher as that kind of is a lot of fish. Deep hex tanks of say 20 gallons cannot support same fish as shallow rectangle tank of 20 gallons. Surface agitation also helps, not filteration. Filters just clean water. Heard of Britas adding more oxegen. Although clean water can carry more oxegen.

Last edited:

Toam

Large Fish
Jul 27, 2005
Grove, Oklahoma
thank you

thank you all for the info, I kinda got the clown loaches with the intent of upgrading to a 50 gallon once they get a lil bigger and probaly moving the pleco in with them.i had thought it might be alright with the different areas the fish end to inhabit, the loaches are all substrate critters, with the exception of the adventuresome clown loaches, whilst the tetras are mid range and the gups are surface folk. looks like i'm gonna have to upgrade though. thanks guys.

DarkMuse

Medium Fish
May 12, 2005
Kentucky
Toam said:
thank you all for the info, I kinda got the clown loaches with the intent of upgrading to a 50 gallon once they get a lil bigger and probaly moving the pleco in with them.i had thought it might be alright with the different areas the fish end to inhabit, the loaches are all substrate critters, with the exception of the adventuresome clown loaches, whilst the tetras are mid range and the gups are surface folk. looks like i'm gonna have to upgrade though. thanks guys.
You're welcome. Yeah, in about 6 months I'm gonna be able to get a 30 gal (or somewhere around that size). What you'll find out as you wander around here is: fishkeeping is like gambling, once you start it's hard to stop. *twirlysmi