Is there a need for a sump or canister filter?

Apr 11, 2006
Hi guys, I was wondering if it is necessary to get a sump or a canister filter for my 46gals bf and is wondering if you guys could help me out by answering some questions. What is the signifcant of a sump or a cansiter filter? Differences? Do I need one?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
for something really big its highly recommended to have a sump...but if u cant really offord it then more water changes...

sumps are used to "extract" algae and other toxic stuff from your tank...(so iv been told)

dont think theres much of a difference between a filter and a canister filter...
people say all u really need is powerheads (or strong water movements) and water changes.

Apr 11, 2006
No, it is neither drill nor has a overflow. It is not reef ready. I was just wondering if it is necessary to have a sump, I heard the water change is made easier with a sump and would like to have that but I don't know if that is a good enough reason to go out and spend about 200 bucks just on a sump.

Right now, I just have 2 powerheads, a aqua C protein skimmer and about 30lbs of live rock in my tank.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Well a sump is just another tank plumbed to your display where you can do stuff like hide heaters, skimmers et al, or grow algae or whatever. They're not necessary but they do make some things more conveniant (tho' not water changes really)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
the advantage of a sump is the additional water volume......and the ability to have a refugium where you can culture pods, and macro algae which can assist in reducing nitrates/phosphates as this algae will out compete other types of algae and usually we hope win....reducing some nuisance algaes ......I also grow gracillara in mine to feed my tang/angel