Is there carbon in my filter?

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
I'm about to treat my QT for ich and it says to remove the carbon from the filter. Does the filter pad have carbon? Or is there only carbon if I put carbon in?

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
K. I just went and looked at the filter pad. I'm assuming the little black rocks are the carbon pieces. How do I get them out? Cuz I assume I'll need to put them back in once Mrs. guppy is healthy again, so I can't just toss them...

Why do I have to take the carbon out anyway? What's up with carbon?

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
How long have you been using the filter pad? If it's been more than a month as Lotus pointed out, the carbon is sufficiently deactivated that it won't be affecting the efficacy of the meds. In other words, don't worry about the carbon if the pad has been in use for a while.

When you have sick fish, you don't want to stress them any further than necessary. You're apt to have more problems removing filter media (and risking removing the biofilter) than choosing other alternatives. I never use carbon except in very specific cases.

Keep an eye on the other tanks. If I recall, you did some juggling of fish which exposed at least one other tank to the ich. As a general rule, unless a fish has a very specific illness, you're better off treating whichever tank is exposed since fish share the same water. Also be sure to keep all equipment seperate.

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
The guppies have been in the 30 gal for more than a month now, the ich just showed up a few days ago so I'm pretty sure no other tanks or fish are affected. I'm keeping my eye on the rest of the guppies. The reason I didn't treat the tank itself is cuz I didn't know if it would be dangerous to medicate the fry and they haven't shown signs of sickness. I caught it so early I might as well use the QT, since that's what it's for.

The QT has only been in use about 2-3 weeks, so not long enough for the carbon to be deactivated. Should I remove the carbon? And if so, how?