is this a decent test kit?

May 10, 2005
Northern Va.
I've been reading these forums and I see that test "strips" are not very accurate. It seems a "drop" test kit would be the way to go.

So would this kit be what I need?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1115755382401

Thanks in advance and I've found this site very informative, I'm glad I found it.

PS I have a 2.5 gallon tank basically for my daughter's room but I'm also using to learn the ropes. So even though it's a small tank I want to do this right. We lost our first goldfish due to some nasty infection. I wish I found this site earlier.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I've never used that test kit before...but you're correct in the observation that people usually find the drop tests more accurate (and easier to read results even if its still not EASY) than dip strip tests.

I usually use the aquarium pharmaceuticals brand ones...and if you're not interested in picking up the whole kit at the same time, you can usually just get away with an ammonia, a nitrite and a nitrate test kit. You could get a pH one, but if you have your LFS test your water's pH and know that its pretty stable you dont need one. The problem with buying them in a kit like the one you linked to is that it didn't mention a nitrate test kit, and unless you're doing live plants and really getting into the chemistry or have really strange water...generally you dont need to worry about the kh/gh/c02 tests...not to mention you better not have chlorine in your water because you're using a dechlorinator right? :) Dont know why you'd need a chlorine test kit?

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Any test kit will give you relatively good results in my opinion. Some are obviously more accurate (and costly) than others, but if you're trying to keep a $2 fish alive, why spend $100 on test kits? When I have $400 saltwater fish, THEN I'll worry about buying the best test kits money can buy. Test kits help you immensely in two ways:

1. They help you monitor the nitrogen cycle that every tank goes through hwen you first set it up.

2. They help you develop an appropriate feeding and regular maintenance schedule.

Whether they give you slightly inaccurate results should not be a concern when you're starting out. You'll never kill a fish accidentally because the test kit told you that the pH is 6.8 instead of 7.0.

Also, since you're asking about water testing, DO NOT alter the pH of your tap water. Fish adjust to most any (read here ANY) pH you have. Proper PH, pH Up, and pH Down are designed merely to separate you from your money as they work temporarily and are TOTALLY unnecessary.

Last edited: