Is this a good protein skimmer

Dennis-Pir

Large Fish
Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
I have a 45g tall tank that I am planning on going SW with,

But of course I need to buy everything first.

This is not going to be like my FW set up, where I set up and then start purchasing things afterwards when I miss it (ie. new heater better filter)

I have a fluval 305 for a filter, still need to buy a submersible heater...

Anyways I was wondering if this is a good protein skimmer
SeaClear Protein Skimmer for System II Aquariums
Link herePetSmart - SeaClear Protein Skimmer for System II Aquariums
for a 45g tank..?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
No. The bubble chamber is probably too short or small to give good interaction and looks like it would be a pain to adjust. On a small system I would look for a used CPR BakPak 2R reef skimmer and you could probably get one for about $70 on ebay or somewhere. If this is too much I wouldn't waste my money on this useless item and spend what I did have on more live rock and do more frequent water changes......save your sheckles and in time get an Aqua Remora about $150

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
you don't need the canister, infact, it will produce lots of nitrates and have adverse effects on the rest of your system. Not to be forward, but have you read any books on salt water? It is totally different from FW, and you will need to ignore most of your fresh water knowledge as it will not help you, and more than likely hurt you. Best bet is to go out and pick up some good reading material, "The new Marine Aquarium" is a good place to start.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I second aresgod also.......better to spend the money on more rock and less mechanical filtration. Get about 2lbs per gallon if you can. The book mentioned is an excellent starter book that has equipment lists and some very good information

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
yeah more live rock there was this one LFS that had 2 tanks packed with live rock and some coral...the most clearest water i have ever seen...(it was a 100g tank and i calculated theres about 30g of water in there...PACKED)