Is this bad?

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
Is it normal for goldfish to loose their scales? This hasn't happend much but the fish got scared today when I turned the lights on and it swam around the tank really fast and I noticed that a couple of its scales came floating off. Maybe the fish is stressed? Water quality all checks out good.

Also is it normal for goldfish to play with its reflection? Mine is an only fish and it seems to love playing against the glass reflection for hours. I think I might get her a friend...

-Xan

Oct 24, 2005
If your goldie was startled and swam recklessly into a tank ornament then you would see it. I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't grow into a fungus of sort.

I've got different types of fish that play with their reflection, even with tankmates.

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
No, I don't think it bumped into anything, but it's been several days since it happend and I haven't seen anything else funny so I think it was O.K.

I got another question, is there anything wrong with fish breathing from off the surface of the water?

-Xan

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
My fish rarely do it, most of the time they are playing with their reflections or searching for food. They also seem very happy playing in the stream of water trickling in from the bio-wheel - I think it's good for them.

The water parameters are below

-Xan

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
Do you have any air going? They might be looking for air at the top. Sometimes when they do that at the top that's a sign that there's not enough air in the water and the tank needs to be cleaned, but not all the time. Sometimes, like was said before, they are just looking for food or being silly.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yes that is true. Surface agitation encourages gas exchange...

Its not necessarily water movement (although if there is enough movement the surface agitation increases) it is the bubbles breaking the surface tension of the water allows gas exchange to put more 02 in the water (or less c02? lol)

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
Yeah, my old tank had an air rock and it didn't do anything for the fish. They were constantly at the surface of the tank gulping for air. The "trickle system", as I call it, that I use right now works really good (its like a waterfall).

I believe the fish goto the top of my tank to look for food. As far as I can tell the water is well oxygenated because I actually see bubbles moving throughout the water with current. Also my plants, ferns or whatever (thats in another thread) seem to like to "grab onto" the little bubbles and hold them. The fish will come over and eat them once in awhile... Strange...

-Xan

ice

Small Fish
Nov 27, 2005
What exactly do you have in your tank? maybe the fish are depressed- there might not be enough for them to do. Do you have plants, ornaments? Does the aquarium have a light?

The gasping may be an oxygen thing. Is your tank near a window? The hot air can raise the temp during the day, and burn the oxygen from the water.

also- how often do you feed your fish?

ice

Small Fish
Nov 27, 2005
ive just noticed your 12G has got 3 plants. thats good. but you only have 2 fish! grab some tetras in there or something. danios are good. something to boost the excitement and stimulate the other fish. when you have diff types of fish its called a community tank. 2 fish isnt a community.