Is this common practice?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
At my LFS, the live rock is all in these low laying, curing type tanks. Above on a shelf are all these frags such as feather dusters and stuff that the store has pulled from the live rock. They sell these small things seperate. Is it common practice to remove these cool things from lr and sell them seperate or is my lfs just trying to make an extra buck?

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
It seems to me they are trying to just make an extra buck... At my local guy that I grab all my saltwater rock/fish from, he leaves the rock alone, and leaves all the feather dusters and whatever else on the rock for whoever buys it.

I don't see any other reason why that store would pull that stuff off, unless they just wanted more money.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
agree with camaro and sam, at the lfs I work at we pull live stuff of the rock if it is likely to be killed in the curing process, I would also venture a guess that like sam said it was just a display tank above the LR. LR tanks stink when curing and thats why they are often low to the ground away from peoples noses

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
They are not in display tanks, they are all in seperate like .25 gallon plastic holding containers sorta like those square plastic containers some lfs sell bettas in with each cube holding a single rock or frag. I also noted that the actual lr doesn't have any featherdusters or anything on them. With the exception of this one practice, the store has a great reputation around here. I just thought it odd

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Depends what they are. I have rescued red montipora and a purple porites from live rock - leave it on and it would have died. On theo ther hand I've had my fair share of good quality hitchhikers
I guess every situation is different. Why don't you ask them what and why they're doing?