Is this considered a proper school?

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
Hi everyone. I have a 20 gallon, recently cycled tank, and want to put a school of tetras in it. Is this considered a school? Three bleeding heat tetras with 3 rosy tetras. Read the rosy tetras are a loose schooling and can school with close relative the bleeding heart. Also read the bleeding heart you can have in pairs. So I thought it would be good to have three of each and call it a school. Want to be sure before I do this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
In general tetras are happiest in schools of 6+.

My three black skirts (which if I remember correctly are about the same size as the bleeding hearts) used to 'school' together but since they've grown huge and don't need the protection from their tank mates any more seem to have stopped. I've noticed that they're more aggressive in the small number now and more likely to nip at eachother. I have no doubt this is because they've lost their schooling mentality. Soon as I get a bigger tank they're going in there and getting some buddies.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I know Cardinals and Neons will school together. Black and White skirts will school together.

I would think if they're roughly the same age and size/shape they might but if they don't be prepared to buy a few more of each to fill out the school and prevent any aggression? The tetras that look like tiny pirahanas (Cause that's what they are!) can be aggressive outside of their schools.

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
Thank you. These two fish I am talking about look very simular. I think I will stick to one or the other. Would like to get a 55 gal in the future then I could have 8 of each. Thank you for your input. Trying to research everything before I do anything. I read how important schooling fish should be six or more and more being better. Thanks again everyone. Sphenta

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
Sphenta, it's so awesome that you're researching before buying your fish. That's the No. 1 trick to having a happy, healthy fish tank.