is this even possible.

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
I have foud a very strange looking creature stuck to the side of my tank. at first i thought it wass a coiled up worm but then i noticed it had to tenticles. and the coiled up bit appears to be a shell. it kinda looks like a brine shrimp. i fed my fish a couple of bags last month. could it be that one surived!!!!!!!! :eek: the onluy other option is it that it is a snail. but i havent introduced any plants or fish for a good few months. could it be that i have my own livig organisam evolving in my tank ;)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
First off, let me say one of my alltime favorite sayings:

Anything is possible

How big is it? I just was given a nice link to a page that helped me ID some of my UFOs (unidentified fishtank objects): http://www.shrimpnow.com/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=33

Does it look anything like this:

or this:

Those 2 things are HYDRA, which most agree are pretty bad things to have in your tanks. I had them in my river tank but they're all gone now through no effort on my part. Maybe the hungry fish ate them all up.

Last edited:

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
here is apic of a copepod:

Kinda looks like a shell with tentacles

However, you may just have a snail, as I have seen them before appear to have VERY LONG tentacles, I guess it was just their antennae, or whatever you call those 2 things oin their heads.

Last edited:

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
dident have my camera on me at the time. id doesent look like anything lik the pictures. its very small about the half the size of a pea has a round shell that logs like a coil. its head apears flat and it has two antenie on either side. next time i see it i will try to get a photo.
if it is a snail where would it have come from??? and is it dangerous to my fish?

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
sounds like a snail, and have you had snails in there before? when was the last time you added new plants or fish? snails can remain hidden for a while and then one day you see them on the side of your tank, at least that is in my experience.

2e0raf

Large Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Preston UK
thay are snails... i fished 5 out at last count when i was siphoning the gravil the fish dont seam to mind them quite the opposit the platie fry i has is fining them most amusing. i supose i will leave them there if thay will no do any harm besides thay are somthing differant to lookat and the best bit is thay were free :)

Kuroshio

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2005
washington
Visit site
LOL. watch out! you might find you have more than planned on. snails are hermaphrodite and after mating can store sperm received for up to a year. only one brought into a tank can turn into a few hundred pretty quickly.....

:)