Is this normal when a tank is cycling?

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Ive had my tank up for a while now, but when I started up the tank I did it all wrong. To make a long story short, I'm still working on getting the tank to cycle. About a week ago, the tank got really cloudy. It was a good day for me... that showed me that it was probably finally cycling. Since I'm doing a fish-in cycle, Ive had an ammonia problem pretty much since starting the tank. Ive tried to help this by doing water changes, gravel vac, and ammonia reducer. Then I heard that the ammonia reducer can have negative effects on a tank cycling, so I started using Top Fin bacteria supplement.

Finally, after the cleared up, I noticed the ammonia is slowly starting to drop. Now I've tested the water again and I'm seeing the nitrites and nitrates are shooting up. Reading the info on the tester that I have, it says that nitrItes are a byproduct of ammonia being broken down by the biological filter. So... does this mean that my tank has finally cycled? The nitrites and nitrates have been relatively low, showing almost nothing on the tester since I've started, and they are going up now.

Also... since the nitrItes are up around 3-4 ppm, Im afraid the fish are going to start suffering. The test kit says to use aquarium salt to help with nitrItes, but Ive used it with every water change since starting up the tank, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
You'll know its finally cycled when the nitrites register at 0.
Nitrites can be more toxic than ammonia so you are right to worry.
Keep doing your partial water changes to reduce those levels.
I don't see how salt would help with nitrites. I never heard of that but it could be true.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
The nitrites can cause the fish's blood to stop carrying oxygen.It is caused by increases of methemogloben in the fish blood which can also damage organs in the fish. The salt is supposed to be helpful in preventing the buildup of the methemogloben.

I have never added salt for the nitrite increase durring a cycle.I did as BlueStraggler suggested and did partial water changes.

Feed minimal amounts and aerate your water.

Do not touch your filter durring the cycle.

How are the fish doing?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The info above is correct, I've heard of salt, but I doubt it will make much of a difference and might even cause some problems depending on what type of fish you have. Nitrite is more toxic than ammonia and you should strive to keep the levels below 1.0 ppm. Your tank is indeed cycling and you're almost done. As soon as ammonia and nitrite are at 0.0ppm and nitrate is showing, you're done! Nitrate is fine in small levels, so no need to worry there.

The Top Fin bacteria supplement is unfortunately a big waste of money, I would stop using it, no telling what it is doing to your cycle, live bacteria can't live on a shelf in a bottle.

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll just have to keep up with the water changes and go from there. It's good to know it's finally almost done!

Matt, the fish are doing fine! Not a single problem with them that I can see, and they seem happy, but I'm gonna cut back on the feeding and do the water changes to help fight it anyways!

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Usually the second part of the cycle takes longer. My fishless cycle took a week to show nitrite and about 2 more weeks for nitrate. So you might not be almost done, especially since its a fish-in cycle but it is getting there.

Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, I hate to mention this, but my nitrites took a lot longer to go away than my ammonia as well. Glad you're reading and learning and asking though, sounds like you're on the right track.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Keep the levels below 1.0 ppm and do as many water changes as necessary to keep them there. Fish in cycling takes awhile unfortunately, that's why we recommend fishless cycling! :(

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
I've been doing pretty consistent water changes as well as gravel vacs. For the first time, I went to a LFS here that specialized in freshwater and planted tanks, and after upgrading lights, buying a couple new things, and on the very helpful advice of the associate there, I got set up with a few new plants in my tank! What a difference it makes! And hopefully the plants help with some of the nitrites also...