Is this normal.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
As you can see in my signature that i have a 10 gallon tank and have transfered convict fry and their mom to the 10G.

Now here it comes. When i switch on the light the fish swim like crazy. Like they have gone mad and hide well try to hide. With in a few mins the calm down and come out. This happens everytime i switch on the light. I have a regular hood with light. Link is below. Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else? I am really worried about the fry and their mom. HELP

Link

PetSmart - Deluxe Fluorescent Aquarium Hoods

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Is the room dark before you switch on the lights? If so, I think the fish are getting being blinded (just like when we move from a dark room to a lighted one) and swim frantically. If this is the case, switch on regular lights before you switch on the aquarium light.

If this is not the case, I don't know the answer.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
TheFighterFish said:
Is the room dark before you switch on the lights? If so, I think the fish are getting being blinded (just like when we move from a dark room to a lighted one) and swim frantically. If this is the case, switch on regular lights before you switch on the aquarium light.

If this is not the case, I don't know the answer.

I think you might have something their. I also thought of that and I usually open the room light then the tank light. it does not help much. Is the light too bright for the fish? I will try keeping the room light on for a longer time before I open the tank light. When i switch on the tank light they swim like bullets. Its scary!