Is this normal?

usacutie81

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
My old beta was all about pacing the tank, never ceasing. But my new beta just kinda swims around every now and then, and usually he's hanging out on a plant. Literally. Or laying on the gravel. He just kinda leans, no moving, tail fins all spread out like he's just died oh so gracefully. Sometimes we think he HAS died, until we go over there and he jumps up like nothing was going on.

So I'm wondering, is this normal beta behavior?

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
My bettas hang out all the time :) I wouldn't worry about it. He's just mellow.

I can't tell you how many times I've turned on the light in the morning, watched everyone in the tank 'wake up' and start swimming and had to stare at the betta's for several minutes to see if they were actually alive (once I was even so worried about mine I stuck the net handle in and poked him!).

Males especially like to hang out in plants (He'll start blowing a bubble nest up there if he especially takes to the plant). IMO it means he's relaxed and at home.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
yeah my betta was like a mix between your bettas lol. He would pace along the one side of the tank over and over, then every once in a while he'd tire and then let the current float him to a plant where he'd sit and chill. He was actually almost territorial over one of my plants lol.

I'd say he's fine. Keep an eye on him though. If he doesn't eat or anything then there might be something wrong.