Is this Normal?

Worthless

Small Fish
May 11, 2008
I have 4 fish in my tank currently, 3 platys (1 male and 2 female) and a Male Betta, My Betta puffs up at any of the platys that get near him or his skull (tank ornament) and chases them, Last night I thought it was Normal for him to be territoral but last night I was watching him and the Male platy didn't run from the Betta and the Betta lunged at him, So what should I do?? I am leaning towards that he will calm down a bit, He has tamed down greatly, Another thing I noticed when the Male platy was chasing the females the Betta jumped right after the Male Platy:O

Last edited:
That happened to my Juju too. All of a sudden he got very aggressive towards my swordtails. So I got him a female betta. Yes, burn me if you'd like. Most people would not recommend doing that. :eek: But he was ok after that. He didn't even attack her as much as he did the swordtails. They lived happily together and even had eggs (without fry though.)

Maybe you can get some more plants or something to provide more hiding spaces. Do you have a full tank shot? We'd like to see your tank. :)

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
Yes. Divide up the area a bit with some taller plants/decor would help make the territorial division better, allow for more hiding areas, and define spaces.