Is this overstocked?

Mar 30, 2014
I have 65 gallon (the dimensions are 38x18x21) with 2 separate filters filtering about 300 gallons per hour each. I have a 6in hujeta gar, a 6 in dinosaur bichir, a 4 in African brown knife, and 4 4in gouramis ( 2 gold and 2 blue). Is this overstocked? If not, could I add something such as 1 or 2 peacock eels? Or a tire track eel? Thanks :3

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
AqAdvisor says you are about 70% stocked, but beware your fish will grow filling in that stocking.
your other choices would fit for the time being imo. i have no idea how compatible they all are.

Feb 27, 2009
I have 65 gallon (the dimensions are 38x18x21) with 2 separate filters filtering about 300 gallons per hour each. I have a 6in hujeta gar, a 6 in dinosaur bichir, a 4 in African brown knife, and 4 4in gouramis ( 2 gold and 2 blue). Is this overstocked? If not, could I add something such as 1 or 2 peacock eels? Or a tire track eel? Thanks :3
The gar will likely outgrown the tank quickly. Any of the non-gourami fish can/will eat the gourami eventually. A lot of predatory fish in there!

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I was kinda thinking the same OC. predatory fish should should be kept by themselves or with fish much bigger then them. otherwise they will end up on the menu.

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
The tire track eel will grow the length of that tank so no. Peacock eels are nice and all but I could never get mine to eat. The gar might make a tastey snack out of it so no.

A 3 foot tank is no place for that gar. Or a 12 inch fish for that matter. The only 12 inch fish i would keep in a 3 foot tank would be smaller bichirs and smaller eels.

If you ditch the gouramis and the gar, i'd suggest get another senagal bicher or even a Delhizi. Another fish i would look into are Leopard Ctempomas. You can find them in any petsmart and they only get 8 inches tops. For mid water swimmers you could stock larger rainbowfish, congo tetras, angels, and/or smaller cichlids like Acaras, Convicts, Jewels, Firemouths, or Festivems.

Last edited: