Is this stand ok for a 77g ?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok in my quest for a non laminated stand, do you think this one would hold a 77g, along with 90 pounds of LR, a 22 pounds top, and 70 pounds of subtrate
Seriously, i need your toughts..looks DIY

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I would be a little concerned about the one by ones as legs to support that kind of weight. It is a very pretty stand tho. You could very easily reinforce the legs by adding another one by one behind each leg.

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
I think there is sufficient wood there for the weight of a vertical load from the tank. (ie support its physical weight). However , I'd be worried about lateral stress (ie someone bumping the side of the tank, etc.) There is not a lot of cross-bracing there. That would be my only concern.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
The big turtle shell is there, because it was used as a turtle tank...and so never was fully tested will 60g+ of water. The guy contacted me, and finally told me he don't think it would handle a reef with so much rock and substrate. He's a engineer and built it himself. Too bad it would have looked great..

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
bought a sturdy and $$$ metallic one from Oceanic.. very very thick metal and the paint coating is good...better be with saltwater...i think later on, i'll build a cabinet around it. Easy and can be done when i want. Beauty of the wood + hardness of the metal = win win.
Ok i got everything now.
About time, the 'ol 55 is leaking ...salt creeps around the tank!

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
The stand is very nice looking, however you must keep in mind that it will need to hold about 800 pounds. Using a DIY that you have no specs on is just risky. If it fails, you'll likely be out more in damages and loss than what it would have cost to buy a suitable stand.

If you do decide to go against logic (no offense) I would consider some way to add some cross supports to help distribute the weight, but even that probably won't be enough. Do you know what size tank was on it before?